Department of Performing Arts records now available for researchers
by Holly Frisbee
The records of the Department of Performing Arts have been processed and are ready for research use.
This collection consists of photos and administrative documents from the Department of Performing Arts and its predecessor, the Department of Music, from 1947-1991. The collection contains the photos and records of the Glee Clubs, Varsity Singers and band, including programs, photographs from American and European tours, group photos, and press clippings.
The performing arts at Drexel date back to 1892, but a department wasn’t formalized until 1942. Dr. Wallace Heaton was appointed music director at that time, and over the next thirty-seven years he established the Department of Music and revitalized the choral music clubs. The bulk of the collection comes from Heaton’s years as director, from the 1950’s through the 1970’s. The music department became the Department of Performing Arts when the College of Humanities and Social Sciences was founded in 1984.