Engineering 101-102-103 resources for freshman design projects
Key engineering resources
There are important resources including print and electronic books, several engineering databases, research guides and blogs available from the Library's web site. These are listed below:
Click on the links below to see what books are available in the library in some key areas:
- Carbon Nanotubes
- Electric or Hybrid Vehicles
- Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
- Bridge Design
- Wind Turbine
To find additional books on engineering design topics, search in our online catalog using the Advanced Keyword Search
- Click on Articles & More Tab in the Library Home page
- For example, type ‘Infrastructure Engineering’ and click on Search Library link.
- Refine your search results by selecting an option from the left column. For example, select ‘ebook’ option. You will see a listing with links to electronic books.
- Try Summon for quick search. For more in depth search, explore the resources below.
Key Resources to find Background Information and Physical Properties
- Access Science
- ASM Handbooks
- Engineering e-books from ENGnetBASE and other netBASE collections
- Electronic Reference Books
News and Recent Developments Use the following databases to find information on breaking news in about emerging technologies in magazines and newspapers
Current Engineering Research
Engineering Research Guides
Tips on obtaining articles not available in the Library
- How do I obtain an article from a citation found in Ei Compendex/INSPEC databases or (Engineering Village) when it is not available in full text? **VIDEO**
- How do I obtain full papers from the Proceedings of the SPIE and other conferences that are not available in the library?
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) The USPTO offers web access to bibliographic and full-text patent databases. These databases provide full-text of patents from 1976 to the present and full page images from 1790 to the present.
- pat2pdf.org Given a patent number, pat2pdf.org will return a free, pdf formated version of the patent.
- Google Patents
- Science.gov Science.gov searches over 40 databases and over 2000 selected websites, offering 200 million pages of authoritative U.S. government science information, including research and development results.
- Statistical Resources on the Web from University of Michigan Library
Catalogs and Components
- Google Product Search
- Globalspec: Engineering Search engine
- ThomasNet - a comprehensive resource for industrial information
Library Orientation Survey You can help us by taking our brief survey. Click here for the Library Orientation Session Evaluation.