Patents, FDA approved medical devices and Intellectual Property
This web site is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Elizabeth Papazoglou whose encouragement and guidance inspired me to create it particularly for the students in her Biomaterials class but it can also be used by researchers, faculty members and other students across various disciplines. I am sure students will continue to find this compilation of resources helpful and stimulating as they think about commercialization of their innovations.
Our collaboration resulted into a workshop on Patent searching during the 2008 American Society for Engineering Education conference.
Patents at Mach 2: Technology on the Cutting Edge. Workshop at the ASEE 2008 Conference
Patents at Mach 2.0: Technology on the Cutting Edge
United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
The USPTO offers web access to bibliographic and full-text patent databases. These databases provide full-text of patents from 1976 to the present and full page images from 1790 to the present.
Provides access to the latest published US patent applications each week BEFORE the USPTO decision to
Given a patent number, pat2pdf.org will return a free, pdf formated version of the patent.
The Google Patent Search covers the entire collection of patents made available by the USPTO—from patents issued in the 1790s to present.
WIPO GOLD is a free public resource which provides a one-stop gateway to WIPO’s global collections of searchable IP data. It aims to facilitate universal access to IP information.
The Top 10 Biosimilar Players: (Note: Search in 'Business Insights' database and use keyword 'patent' to locate this and other reports on patents)
Nanotechnology related initiatives
Important Key words in Drug Delivery and Nanotechnology:
Nasal and transdermal drug delivery, Injectable drugs, Implantable delivery systems, Nanocapsules, Nanoparticles, Nanovehicles, Nanomedicine, Oral drug delivery system, Controlled drug delivery, Cancer nanotechnology
- FDA documents for regulated industry
- FDA's Search Guidance Database
- Latest FDA Medical Devices approvals
- FDA Medwatch-Medical Product Safety Information
- FDA Medical Devices - Stent
- FDA - Center for Devices and Radiological Health - Index of Consumer Topics
- 510(K) overview
- FDA Device Advice
- FDA Approval Process
- FDA Drug Approval Process
- A Roadmap to Medical Device and Instrumentation Pedigree
- FDA - Search Medical Devices in releasable 501(k) database
- Cardiovascular Device Liability week
- Medical Device Law Weekly
- Devices@FDA - a catalog of approved medical devices
- Medical Device safety Guidelines
- Testimony on FDA's Medical Device Program by Michael Friedman
- Medical Device Reporting
- FDA-Office of In Vitro Diagnostic Device (OIVD) Evaluation
- Medical Devices Directive
Books on Medical Devices
Using medical devic* as a keyword in the Online catalog.
Books on Reserve - Biomaterials II
Books on Reserve - Biomaterials I and Biomaterials II
Selected Biomedical Ebooks, drug delivery reports and datababases
Devices@FDA - a catalog of approved medical devices
Recently Approved Medical devices by FDA
Medical Device Safety
Electronic Lectures on Biomedical Mechanics from Synthesis Digital Library
Drug Delivery Reports (Search in ‘Business Insights’ database and use keyword ‘Drug Delivery’.)
Drexel University Resources
Research Guide on Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Resources
Suggested SIC and NAICS codes to search for companies