Research Experience for Teachers - Biotechnology, Information Technology and Nanotechnology
Schedule for the RET class in the Library
University of Pennsylvania's Engineering Library
Click on the links below to see what books are available in the library in some key areas.
- Proposal Writing
- Biomaterials and Tissue
- Micro* and Fluid*
- Carbon Nanotubes
- Wireless Communications
To find additional books on any topics, search in our online catalog using Advanced Keyword searching .
- Click on Articles & More Tab in the Library Home page
- For example, type ‘Nanomaterials’ and click on Search Library link.
- Refine your search results by selecting an option from the left column. For example, select ‘ebook’ option. You will see a listing with links to electronic books.
- Try Summon for quick search. For more in depth search, explore the resources below.
Grant and Funding Opportunities
- NSF Fastlane Award Search and Funding Trends
FastLane covers the full range of transactions between a research organization, its researchers, and NSF. See also Grant Proposal Guide.
- Funding: NSF Specialized information for K-12 educators
- Community of Science (COS) Scholar Universe
A database for researchers which includes an expertise directory, funding opportunities, MEDLINE and the Federal Register.
- What is Community of Science (COS) Scholar Universe? How can I find out where I can present my papers?
- How do I locate funding opportunities for research or travel grants to assist me in planning for participating in conferences?
- CoS Expertise
Detailed professional information about nearly 480,000 scientists, scholars and researchers.
- CoS Funding Opportunities
A searchable and browsable database of funding information.
- Databases/Indexes for Funding
See also Research Guides for Grants and Prospect Research
- Encyclopedia of Associations Online
Contains information for approximately 460,000 international and U.S. national, regional, state, and local nonprofit membership organizations in all fields, including IRS data on U.S. 501(c) nonprofit organizations.
- Funding Resources for Teachers
This document provides a list of various web sites to help find information funding and grants.
Click on the links below to access electronic books (Access only to Drexel faculty and students)
You can access full book chapters using electronic book collections such as AccessMedicine, ASM Handbooks, Books@OVID, ebrary, ENGnetBASE, MATERIALSnetBASE, and NEUROSCIENCEnetBASE)
- ASM Handbooks Online
- Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
- Knovel: Engineering & Scientific Online References
Use databases below to find scholarly journal articles on the topic of your research project.
- Annual Reviews
- ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) Database
- Ei Compendex and INSPEC
- Engineered Materials Abstracts
- Environmental Engineering Abstracts
- Google Scholar
- IEEE Xplore
- Information Science Reference: The Premier Reference Source for Computer Science and Information Technology Research
- Materials Research Database
- Web of Science
- Wiley InterScience (Note: Synergy Blackwell is no longer functioning as of June 27, 2008. All content has been transferred to Wiley InterScience)
News and Recent Developments
Use the following databases to find developing news stories on various technologies in magazines and newspapers
- Refworks (RefWorks is a web-based software application that helps you manage citations. It helps you keep track of the sources you are using for your research and your own notes about the sources)
- Refworks Tutorials