Skip to main content
Drexel Library Libraries Home Button Drexel Health Sciences Search Services Get Help About
← Back to News and Events

Who Was W. W. Hagerty?

William Walsh Hagerty (1916-1986) with the plaque, bearing his name, in the lobby.

William Walsh Hagerty was appointed President of the Drexel Institute of Technology in 1963 where he served until 1984.

During his tenure, Hagerty was responsible for expanding the campus to include new colleges and programs. His work increased enrollment to over 12,500 students, doubling the previous enrollment and increasing the budget from $8 million to $80 million dollars. In 1970 Hagerty guided the institution through its transition to University status, leading the way for the Drexel University that exists today.

In 1983, Drexel named a new library on campus after President Hagerty. W. W. Hagerty Library opened in October 1983 and continues to bear his name. Shortly after, in 1986, Hagerty passed away.

Article by: Jenny James Lee historical information from the Drexel University Archives and Libraries' Website: http://www.library.drexel.edu/about/wwhagerty.html.

Copyright © 2014 Drexel University  |   Privacy Policy

Powered by Drupal Druplicon icon

Powered by Drupal, an open source content management system