- How to Define an Industry
- Industry Overview
- Articles about Industries
- Industry Statistics
- Industry Ratios
If you need to know what an industry is called or what companies are within a particular industries, you can use SIC / NAICS codes. SIC / NAICS Codes are classification systems which group like companies and industries together.The Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) consists of 4-digit numbers that apply to companies based on the type of products or services they produce. Companies that do the same thing have the same SIC code.
Newer industries, such as many of the high-tech industries, are not well defined using SIC codes, so there is a transition to another classification system -- North American Industry Classification System.
The best way to find SIC or NAICS codes to search Hoovers Online for the name of a company which you know is the kind of service or product you are interested in. You can also try searching the US Census Bureau's NAICS Webpage.
- Business & Industry -- ELECTRONIC To find industry overviews using this database, use the Concept Term menu to choose Industry Forecasts or Industry Overview. You may also want to use the Industry menu to select an industry.
- IBISWorld -- ELECTRONIC IBISWorld offers industry reports covering over 700 US industries (at the 5-digit NAICS level) and provide key statistics, market characteristics, segmentation, industry conditions, and industry outlook. You can search by NAICS code or by keyword. It’s very easy to browse report titles as well.
- Mergent Online -- ELECTRONIC Mergent Industry Reports provide in-depth analysis of key industries covering United States as well as Canada, Asia Pacific and Europe. These reports describe the market environment and industry landscape for companies, industries, countries and regions as well as key trends and market outlooks. The Comparable Company Data area provides key company data for the leading companies in the industry being covered. Each report is updated twice a year.
- ValueLine -- ELECTRONIC Mainly known as a valuable stock analysis tool, ValueLine also contains terrific one-page industry snapshots. Click on "Industry Lookup," and then click on the .pdf for the Industry Commentary.
- ABI/Inform -- ELECTRONIC ABI/inform is the database to use when looking for a broad range of types of articles from scholarly, trade, and popular business publications. It contains full-text articles from over 600 business publications as well as abstracts and citations for over 1300 publications.
- Business & Industry -- ELECTRONIC Along with articles from over 600 trade and business sources covering a variety of major industries, you can use Business & Industry to find market and product information as well. You can keyword search in the top search box or use the pull-down menus to create your search.
- Business Source Complete -- ELECTRONIC This database offer indexes to 3,800 scholarly business journals (including the Harvard Business Review) covering management, economics, finance, accounting, and international business including full text for nearly 1,100 peer-reviewed business publications.
- Current Industrial Reports -- WWW The US Census Bureau's Current Industrial Report program provides data the production and shipment of certain products on an annual, quarterly, and monthly basis. The data sets are searchable by title and by NAICS code.
- IBISWorld -- ELECTORNIC IBISWorld contains both basic industry statistics as well as more in-depth charts and graphs to get a better picture on how an industry functions.
- Tablebase -- ELECTRONIC Tablebase is a user-friendly database containing tables and text pulled from over 1000 publications. Along with simple keyword searching, you can also limit searches by choosing from lists of concept terms, marketing terms, countries, industries, and document types. A sister product to Business & Industry, this database is great for market share information and rankings within a particular industry.
- D&B Key Business Ratios -- ELECTRONIC D&B Key Business Ratios gives industry averages for all major ratios including P/E, ROI, Quick Ratio, etc. Search by industry name or SIC code. Note: only one person can use this database at a time, so please find what you need quickly and log out.
- Industry Norms and Key Business Ratios -- PRINT Ref HD 2771 .I52x This annual publication from Dun & Bradstreet summarizes financial data and ratios for over 800 types of business and over a million companies. Arrangement is a typical balance sheet and summary income statement for each industry. This tome of business research's strengths include its currency and the extensive variety of industries covered.
Content Editor: Emily Missner
Last Updated: 03/28/2013