- This page focuses on resources which have specific usefulness to the Biomedical Engineering community. However, many general, interdisciplinary engineering resources are useful for all engineers, regardless of their specialty. For general engineering resources, please see our Fundamentals of Engineering Research guide.
- Health Sciences Research Guides A collection of research guides compiled by the Drexel Health Sciences Library.
- Biomedical Engineering Jobs Looking for a job? Check this out.
- Searching the catalog for books on Biomedical Engineering:
- Try a keyword search:
- Try a subject search:
Nanotechnology Surgical Instruments and Apparatus
- Include the type of book you are looking for:
biomedical engineering AND encyclopedia medical devices AND handbook
- Use truncation for more results:
biomed* retrieves... biomedic, biomedical, biomedicine, etc.
Searching for Ebooks:
- ENGnetBASE -- ELECTRONIC CRC Engineering Handbooks Online; Full-text of over 1000 engineering handbooks. Topics include: Image Processing, Bioprocessing, Computational Biology, and Sensors, Instrumentation & Measurement.
- NEUROSCIENCEnetBASE -- ELECTRONIC Includes over 130 fully searchable ebooks on the topics of Biomedical Engineering, Biostatistics, Immunology, Neuroscience, Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Knovel -- ELECTRONIC Online engineering reference with almost 2,000 reference materials, interactive graphs and equations, tables, and other useful information.
- AccessMedicine Suite -- ELECTRONIC A medical education resource consisting of a large variety of up-to-date established textbooks; allows searching across multiple AccessMedicine publications.
- Health Services/Technology Assessment Text (HSTAT) -- ELECTRONIC Database that provides free access to the full-text of government agency documents that are useful in health care decision making.
- Engineering Village — ELECTRONIC
The combined Ei Compendex® & Inspec® databases allow for searching on a broad range of topics within the scientific, applied science, technical and engineering disciplines.
- Blackwell Synergy - is now Wiley Interscience -- ELECTRONIC Full text of over 600 journals related to Science, Technology, Medicine, Humanities and Social Sciences. Coverage extends back to 1997 in most cases.
- INSPEC - ELECTRONIC
Bibliographic database providing access to the world's scientific literature in electrical engineering, electronics, physics, control engineering, information technology, communications, computers, computing, and manufacturing and production engineering.
- MD Consult -- ELECTRONIC Full text access to over 36 medical texts and 46 journals related to the Health Sciences. USERNAME REQUIRED - From an ON CAMPUS computer, you must visit their site and setup an individual user name and password before you will be able to access the site. Once you have your account, you should be able to use MD Consult from both on and off campus.
- MEDLINE via Ovid -- ELECTRONIC Produced by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, MEDLINE contains all records published in Index Medicus and corresponds in part to the printed International Nursing Index with significant material from Index to Dental Literature.
Medical Subject Headings, or MeSH, provide a way to search all articles on a topic by using one phrase to describe that topic. Medical Subject Headings are created and updated by the National Library of Medicine. They are part of a hierarchy that links related MeSH terms together. Useful MeSH terms in biomedical engineering include:
- Artificial Limbs
- Motor Activity
- Biocompatible Materials
- Biomedical Engineering
- Orthopedic Equipment
- Biomedical Technology
- Orthopedic Fixation Devices
- Orthotic Devices
- Electronics, Medical
- Prostheses and Implants
- Equipment Design
- Range of Motion, Articular
- Science Direct: Medicine and Dentistry -- ELECTRONIC ScienceDirect is a Web database for scientific research that contains the full text of more than 1,000 Elsevier Science journals in many subject areas, including Medicine and Dentistry.
- The Biomedical Engineering Handbook -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT Hagerty 2nd Floor R856.15 .B56 2000 v. 1,2 see catalog The Biomedical Engineering Handbook defines the discipline by bringing together the core of knowledge from all applied biomedical engineering subjects. Written for the biomedical engineering professional seeking specific information, the book is also indispensable for other engineering and medical professionals seeking an overview of the entire field or information on one particular aspect of it.
- Gray's Anatomy. -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT Hagerty 2nd Floor QM23 .G73 1989 see catalog Gray's Anatomy is one of those few titles that practically everybody has heard of, and with good reason - it is a scientific and artistic triumph. Not just a dry index of parts and names, Gray's lets the natural beauty and grace of the body's interconnected systems and structures shine forth from the page.
- Handbook of Biomaterial Properties -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT Off-site Storage R857.M3 H36 1998 see catalog This handbook draws together for the first time much of the accepted data and information on the subject. The experts responsible for each contribution have considered not merely the intrinsic and interactive properties of biomaterials, but also the appropriateness of their applications as well as their historical context.
- Handbook of Biosensors and Electronic Noses -- PRINT Hagerty 2nd Floor R857.B54 H36 1997 The Handbook of Biosensors and Electronic Noses discusses design and optimization for the multitude of practical uses of these devices. The Handbook of Biosensors and Electronic Noses will help you choose the best combination of sensors, sample handling, and signal processing, providing optimum performance for specific applications and saving money and time.
- Biotechnology. A Multi-Volume Comprehensive Treatise -- PRINT Hagerty Reference TP248.2 .B5465 1991 v.1-12 This fully revised and expanded Second Edition is extraordinary broad in scope, carefully structured and well balanced. 'Biotechnology' considers both basic concepts and widely differing industrial applications: it is a successful synthesis of theory and practice.
- Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering -- ELECTRONIC Written by some 400 subject experts representing diverse academic and applied domains, this multidisciplinary resource surveys the vanguard of biomaterials and biomedical engineering technologies utilizing biomaterials--uncovering current lines of research as well as innovative applications in tissue engineering, prosthetics, drug delivery, biosensors, and medical devices. The Encyclopedia portrays field progress through the placement of nearly 9000 literature citations, 200 chemical structures and equations, and 350 color graphics.
- Encyclopedia of BioStatistics -- PRINT Hagerty Reference RA409 .E53 1998 v.1-6 Comprising over 1,200 articles written by more than 800 contributors. It provides extensive coverage of statistical issues pertinent to life scientists, health care professionals, and practicing statisticians. Entries range from basic statistical concepts, practical issues arising in medical research to advanced methods and theoretical developments.
- Encyclopedia of Human Biology -- PRINT Hagerty 2nd Floor QP11 .E53 1991 v. 1-8 Included in this encyclopedia are essays by well-recognized specialists which cover all aspects of the human condition. Some topics that are covered are behavior, learning, occupational and environmental consideration, and important substances. There is a glossary & bibliography in each volume.
- Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology -- PRINT Hagerty Reference T174.7 .E53 2004 v. 1-10 This is a comprehensive treatment of the nanotechnology field, containing articles on nanofabrication and processing of nanoscale materials, properties of atomic, molecular and nanoscale materials, and biomedical applications, amongst others.
- Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry -- ELECTRONIC Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry is a reference work detailing the state of scientific and technological knowledge in all areas of industrial chemistry. Subject areas include: Inorganic and organic chemicals, Advanced materials, Pharmaceuticals, Polymers and plastics, Metals and alloys, Biotechnology and biotechnological products, Food chemistry, Process engineering and unit operations, Analytical methods Environmental protection, etc.
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering -- PRINT, ELECTRONIC Hagerty Reference TK9 .E53 1999 v.1-10 see catalog Contains over 1400 articles that describe every aspect of electrical and electronics engineering. Articles emphasize the contributions from experts in each of the key areas of electrical engineering and electronics engineering.
- National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering -- WWW The NIBIB is an Institute within the National Institutes of Health (NIH) devoted to merging the physical and biological sciences to develop new technologies that improve health. The website includes links to technical reports, research and training information, as well as news and events.
- The Biomaterials Network -- WWW Biomat.net is aimed at linking the Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering community worldwide. This site provides updated news in the field, delivered through a monthly newsletter, and also a collection of selected internet links related to Biomaterials Science and Tissue Engineering, as well as relevant links to biomedical engineering, biology, medicine and health sciences in general. Biomat.net facilities additionally include a glossary of related terms, a discussion forum, a job exchange section, and the Directory of members, where research expertise can be searched.
- BioMed Central -- WWW BioMed Central is an independent publishing house providing immediate free access to peer-reviewed biomedical research. BioMed Central's portfolio of over 100 journals ranges from the general interest to a range of specialist online only journals.
Content Editor: Jay Bhatt
Last Updated: 10/31/2012