- General Class Resources
- Finding Books
- Key Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Databases
- Key Engineering Databases
- Key Industry Databases
- Resources for Pricing Chemicals
- Resources for Patent Searching
- Reference Books
General Class Resources
- Course Reserves Useful materials reserved by your professors for use in this class. You can access these in the Reserve Room, located on the first floor of Hagerty Library.
- Chemical and Biological Engineering Research Guide An extensive guide to library resources of value to chemical engineers. Check here for tips on doing in-depth research in chemical engineering.
- Chemistry Research Guide A guide to finding information relating to all aspects of chemical science.
- Fundamentals of Engineering Research A resource guide that covers the major information resources for all engineering disciplines. This is a good place to begin your research.
- Finding Full-Text from Citations You found an interesting citation, but where's the article? This guide will help you navigate to the full-text online.
- RefWorks Overview RefWorks is a web-based bibliographic management tool. It can help you organize citations for the books, journal articles, web sites, etc. that you find while doing research. Best of all, it can generate a properly formatted bibliography for your papers. This site guides you through the process of setting up a RefWorks account and getting started with this great tool. Highly recommended.
- Researching an Industry A guide to finding information about a specific industry. Pay particular attention to the explanation of SIC and NAICS codes at the beginning of the guide. If you need more information about a specific company, try our Researching a Company guide.
- Chemical Market Reporter/ICIS Chemical Business America -- ELECTRONIC Published weekly, Chemical Market Reporter/ICIS Chemical Business America offers news and analysis on the latest developments in the chemical industry.
- Chemical and Engineering News -- PRINT The American Chemical Society's monthly journal of recent developments in chemistry and chemical engineering. Once a year, a “Facts and Figures for the Chemical Industry” issue is printed (usually in June or July). Figures are specific to category and company, not chemical. Finance, production, trade, and employment are covered.
- Searching the catalog for books on Chemical Engineering:
- Try a keyword search:
- petroleum refining chemical process AND design
- Try a subject search:
- Chemical Industry Distillation
- Include the type of book you are looking for:
- chemical engineering AND handbook chemical AND encyclopedia
- Try truncation for more results:
- chemi* and manufactu*
- Searching for Ebooks:
- CHEMnetBASE -- ELECTRONIC Includes CRC publications covering many aspects of chemistry as well as interactive property databases including the Dictionary of Commonly Cited Chemicals, Dictionary of Drugs, Dictionary of Inorganic and Organometallic Compounds, Dictionary of Organic Compounds and Properties of Organic Compounds
- ENGnetBASE -- ELECTRONIC Full-text of over 75 engineering handbooks online.
- Knovel -- ELECTRONIC Online engineering reference with interactive graphs and equations, tables, and other useful information.
- POLYMERSnetBASE -- ELECTRONIC CRC Handbooks covering Polymers as well as an interactive database of polymer properties
- Referex Engineering -- ELECTRONIC A collection of over 300 engineering eBooks in 3 distinct collections, including Chemical, Petrochemical & Process.
Key Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Databases
- ACS Journals Online (American Chemical Society) -- WWW The American Chemical Society site contains full text articles for the journals published by American Chemical Society. The Division's comprehensive collection includes more than 30 journals and magazines (including 5 copublished with other scientific societies).
- CBNB and Chimica-- ELECTRONIC Chemical Business NewsBase (CBNB) is the leading provider of global chemical business news and information. Search for facts, figures, views, and comments on the chemical industry worldwide, from 1985 to the present. Chimica provides access to hundreds of the most influential international journals focused on chemistry and chemical engineering, with emphasis on applied and analytical chemistry, extending to physical chemistry, health and safety, organic and inorganic chemistry, and materials science.
- ChemRate -- WWW ChemRate is a program that contains databases containing experimental results on unimolecular reactions, information pertaining to transition state and molecular structures necessary for the calculation of high pressure rate constants and thermal functions respectively. It contains a master equation solver so that rate constants for unimolecular reactions in the energy transfer region and chemical activation processes under steady and non-steady state conditions can be determined on the basis of RRKM theory.
- Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) -- WWW Vermont SIRI (Safety Information Resources, Inc.) provides access to the MSDS Archive of information about chemicals, and links to many new MSDS archives provided by manufacturers concerned about the safe use of their products. Also searchable is information about chemical toxicity.
Reaxys-- ELECTRONIC Reaxys has extensive coverage of quality, authoritative information in organic, inorganic and organometalic chemistry. Includes Beilstein and Gmelin information. A search across the Reaxys database delivers a single results set and each record provides details excerpted from multiple patent or journal sources. Reaxys contains an extensive repository of experimentally validated data that chemists need including structures, reactions (including multi-step reactions) and physical properties.
- SciFinder Scholar -- ELECTRONIC This is the premier source for finding chemical literature, substance, and reaction information. It provides a search interface for access to Chemical Abstracts online. Chemical Abstracts covers the published scientific research in chemistry, and offers searching by author name, research topic, substance identifier, chemical structure, or chemical reaction.
Key Engineering Databases
- Click on Articles & More Tab in the Library Home page
- Engineering Village -- ELECTRONIC The combined Compendex®, Ei Backfile & Inspec® databases allow for searching on a broad range of topics within the scientific, applied science, technical and engineering disciplines. It also covers engineering websites, CRC Handbooks, patents, and industry standards.
- Science Direct -- ELECTRONIC ScienceDirect is a search platform which provides access to more than 1000 full-text journals in a wide range of subject areas. Check out the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering subject areas from their homepage.
- Web of Science -- ELECTRONIC The Library's premier journal article database, covering more than 8,000 international journals in the sciences, social sciences, and the arts and humanities. It is unique in that it provides searching by locating articles that cite other articles or authors.
- For the full list of engineering-related databases subscribed to by Drexel University Libraries, please see our Databases/Article Indexes For Engineering.
Key Industry Databases
- This is not a complete list of relevant databases; check the Research an Industry guide for further resources. Pay particular attention to the explanation of SIC and NAICS codes at the beginning of the guide. If you need more information about a specific company, try our Research a Company guide.
- Business and Industry Database -- ELECTRONIC A multi-industry, international database that provides access to company, industry, market, and product information. Provides important features such as ability to limit by Industry (Eg. Chemical) and by Concept term Market Share and Market Size. To find industry overviews using this database, use the Concept Term menu to choose Industry Forecasts or Industry Overview. You may also want to use the Industry menu to select an industry.
- Tablebase -- ELECTRONIC Tablebase is a user-friendly database containing tables and text pulled from over 1000 publications. Along with simple keyword searching, you can also limit searches by choosing from lists of concept terms, marketing terms, countries, industries, and document types. A sister product to Business & Industry, this database is great for market share information and rankings within a particular industry.
- IBIS World-- ELECTRONIC IBISWorld offers industry reports covering over 700 US industries (at the 5-digit NAICS level) and provide key statistics, market characteristics, segmentation, industry conditions, and industry outlook. You can search by NAICS code or by keyword. It’s very easy to browse report titles as well.
- Proquest -- ELECTRONIC Proquest databases contain selected full-text content. The following databases, available through Proquest, provide important information on chemical industries: ABI/INFORM Dateline ABI/INFORM Global ABI/INFORM Trade & Industry
- Business Source Premier -- ELECTRONIC This database offer indexes to 3,800 scholarly business journals covering management, economics, finance, accounting, and international business including full text for nearly 1,100 peer-reviewed business publications
Resources for Pricing Chemicals
- For news articles about trends in chemical pricing, try the guided news searches in either Lexis/Nexis Academic Universe or Factiva. -- ELECTRONIC
- ICIS Indicative Chemical Prices for students -- WWW This broad list of chemical prices is taken from the 28 August 2006 issue of Chemical Market Reporter (now rebranded and incorporated into ICIS Chemical Business). The list consists of static price indications from that issue.
- Advance Scientific & Chemicals, Inc. -- WWW Search for chemicals and laboratory supplies. Try the advanced search feature.
- Science Lab -- WWW Search for pricing on chemicals and lab equipment. The wide range of products includes chemicals and reagents, pH meters, laboratory scales, refractometers, microscopes, laboratory glassware and many other scientific supplies.
- Fisher Scientific -- WWW Supplies for scientific research, laboratory testing and life science research — the latest equipment and instrumentation, finest chemicals and highest-quality supplies.
- Sigma Aldrich -- WWW Supply products in the areas of analytical chemistry and chromatography, life sciences, chemistry and materials science.
Resources for Patent Searching
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) -- WWW The USPTO offers web access to bibliographic and full-text patent databases. These databases provide full-text of patents from 1976 to the present and full page images from 1790 to the present.
- Fresh Patents -- WWW Provides access to the latest published US patent applications each week BEFORE the USPTO decision to grant/deny.
- pat2pdf.org -- WWW Given a patent number, pat2pdf.org will return a free, pdf formated version of the patent. This is generally easier than using the USPTO patent viewer plug-in.
- Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook -- PRINT Hagerty Reference TP151 .P45 7th ed. 1997 This new seventh edition of the world-famous classic provides you with unrivaled, state-of-the art coverage of all aspects of chemical engineering, from the fundamentals to details on computer applications and control. Definitive reference for chemical and process engineers.
- Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing and Design -- PRINT Hagerty Reference TP9 .E66 v. 1-67 A print encyclopedia (67 volumes!) with extensive coverage of all aspects of chemical manufacturing and processing.
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT Hagerty Reference TP9 .E685 1992 v. 1-3 This Encyclopedia brings together and treats systematically facts on the properties, manufacturing, and uses of chemicals and materials, processes, and engineering principles, coupled with insights into current research, emerging technologies and economic aspects. Environmental and health concerns are also addressed.
- Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry -- ELECTRONIC Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry is a state-of-the-art reference work detailing the science and technology in all areas of industrial chemistry. Search by the name of the chemical for which production and manufacturing information is needed.
Content Editor: Jay Bhatt
Last Updated: 10/31/2012