- General Resources
- Finding Books
- Finding Articles
- Reference Books
- Web Resources
- Chemical Property Resources
- This page focuses on resources which have specific usefulness to the Chemical and Biological Engineering community. However, many general, interdisciplinary engineering resources are useful for all engineers, regardless of their specialty. For general engineering resources, please see our Fundamentals of Engineering Research guide.
- Chemistry Research Guide A guide to finding information relating to all aspects of chemical science.
Searching the catalog for books on Chemical and Biological Engineering:
- Try a keyword search:
biosensors | chemical process
- Try a subject search:
Biochemical Engineering | Distillation
- Include the type of book you are looking for:
chemistry AND handbook | polymer AND encyclopedia
- Try truncation for more results:
chemi* and manufactu* retrieves...
chemical AND manufacturing
Searching for Ebooks:
- ENGnetBASE -- ELECTRONIC Full-text of over 1000 engineering handbooks online; topics include: Chemical Processing & Design, Mass Transfer, Bioprocessing, and Process Control
- CHEMnetBASE -- ELECTRONIC Includes CRC publications covering many aspects of chemistry as well as interactive property databases including the Dictionary of Commonly Cited Chemicals, Dictionary of Drugs, Dictionary of Inorganic and Organometallic Compounds, Dictionary of Organic Compounds and Properties of Organic Compounds
- POLYMERSnetBASE -- ELECTRONIC CRC Handbooks covering Polymers as well as an interactive database of polymer properties
- Knovel -- ELECTRONIC Online engineering reference with almost 2,000 reference materials, interactive graphs and equations, tables, and other useful information.
- Referex Engineering -- ELECTRONIC A collection of over 300 engineering eBooks in 3 distinct collections, including Chemical, Petrochemical & Process.
- Engineering Village — ELECTRONIC
The combined Ei Compendex® & Inspec® databases allow for searching on a broad range of topics within the scientific, applied science, technical and engineering disciplines.
- ACS Journals Online (American Chemical Society) -- ELECTRONIC The American Chemical Society site contains full text articles for the journals published by American Chemical Society. The Division's comprehensive collection includes more than 30 journals and magazines (including 5 copublished with other scientific societies).
- ChemVillage -- ELECTRONIC Search environment for Chimica, Beilstein Abstracts, chemical news, patents, and selected CRC Press handbooks (CHEMnetBASE and ENVIROnetBASE) through a single point of entry.
- SciFinder Scholar -- ELECTRONIC This is the premier source for finding chemical literature, substance, and reaction information. It provides a search interface for access to Chemical Abstracts online. Chemical Abstracts covers the published scientific research in chemistry, and offers searching by author name, research topic, substance identifier, chemical structure, or chemical reaction.
For more information about SciFinder Scholar, click here.
- Science Direct -- ELECTRONIC ScienceDirect is a search platform which provides access to more than 1000 full-text journals in a wide range of subject areas.
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 88th Ed. -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT Hagerty Reference QD65 .H3 85th ed. (2004/05) see catalog The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics fills the gap by providing almost instant access to virtually all the common data needs of physical scientists and engineers in a depth belied by its single volume format.
- Chemical Engineers' Portable Handbook -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT Hagerty Reference TP151 .G757 2000 see catalog A concise handbook containing information in the following areas: basic and practical chemical engineering knowledge, convenient facts, formulas, and methods, chapters on process operations, biochemical engineering and environmental operations, guidance on core chemistry topics, current environmental solutions, hazmat procedures, equipment, and regulations, succinct advice and data on process control, economy/design answers, and essential design factors.
- Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT Hagerty Reference TP151 .P45 7th ed. 1997 see catalog This new seventh edition of the world-famous classic provides you with unrivaled, state-of-the art coverage of all aspects of chemical engineering, from the fundamentals to details on computer applications and control. Definitive reference for chemical and process engineers.
- Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry -- ELECTRONIC Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry is a state-of-the-art reference work detailing the science and technology in all areas of industrial chemistry. Search by the name of the chemical for which production and manufacturing information is needed.
- The Merck Index 14th Ed. -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT Hagerty 2nd Floor RS51 .M4 2006 see catalog An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals. The Merck Index is a world renowned, authoritative handbook of chemical, pharmaceutical and biomedical information that contains more than 10,000 monographs, 32 supplemental tables and 450 Organic Name Reactions and almost 1000 retired monographs.
- PubChem -- WWW PubChem is a freely available database of structures, properties and the biological activities of small molecules.
- Chemspider -- WWW ChemSpider is a free access service providing a structure centric community for chemists. Providing access to millions of chemical structures and integration to a multitude of other online services ChemSpider is the richest single source of structure-based chemistry information.
- ChemWeb -- WWW Free registration provides access to databases, journals, books, conferences, and news.
- Web Elements -- WWW Interactive Periodic Table of the Elements
- ChemBioFinder -- WWW Searchable database offering basic information, including physical property data and 2D chemical structures for several thousand most common chemical compounds. Can be searched by chemical name, CAS Number, molecular formula, or molecular weight. You will need to create a free account to search the site. Heavy with advertisements, some services from this site require paid subscriptions.
- Chemistry WebBook -- WWW The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Chemistry WebBook provides users with easy access to chemical and physical property data for chemical species through the internet. The data provided in the site are from collections maintained by the NIST Standard Reference Data Program and outside contributors.
- Design Institute for Physical Properties (DIPPR) Project 801 -- ELECTRONIC This database is a renowned source of Evaluated Process Design Data of physical, thermodynamic, and transport properties for industrially important chemicals used in chemical process and equipment design.
- Chemical and Physical Properties Index -- WWW From the University of Wisconsin - Madison Library Many of the links provided go to freely accessible web pages, although some do link to UW-Madison collection materials. Since the Drexel Library contains most of the same materials, you can use the references to find resources here.
Content Editor: Jay Bhatt
Last Updated: 10/31/2012