- Suggested Databases
- Electronic Journals
- Electronic Books
- College of Medicine Department of Anesthesiology
- Selected Web Resources:
- (1950-present) The premier medical literature search system, which includes Index Medicus, the International Nursing Index and the Index to Dental Literature.
- MEDLINE via PubMed (1950-present) NLM's search service to access MEDLINE and Pre-MEDLINE (with links to participating on-line journals), and other related databases.
- (1982-present) Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature: indexes books, journals and dissertations in nursing, physical therapy, medical technology and allied health areas. Covers key physician assistant professional journals.
- A collection of databases that contain high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. Cochrane Reviews represent the highest level of evidence on which to base clinical treatment decisions. In addition to Cochrane Reviews, The Cochrane Library provides other sources of reliable information: other systematic reviews abstracts, technology assessments, economic evaluations, and individual clinical trials all the current evidence in one single environment.
- (Current) A clinical reference tool with clinically-organized summaries for nearly 2,000 topics in evidence-based medicine.
- MDConsult/FirstConsult (Dates vary) MD Consult provides access to over 36 medical texts, articles from more than 46 clinical journals, practice guidelines, drug information, 2,500 patient education handouts, CME, and daily medical updates. Designed for use at the time and point of care, FIRSTConsult is an evidence-based clinical information tool for primary health care providers, part of the MD Consult Clinical Knowledge System.
- NursingConsult (Current) Mosby's Nursing Consult brings together several leading nursing resources to help nurses efficiently find answers to pressing clinical questions. It includes the Latest Drug Information, Patient Education Information, Professional Journals, Reference Books, Current News, Clinical Practice Information, Evidence-based Content, and Care Planning Tools.
- RefWorks allows users to format their citations and papers into a particular format, export or manually add references into RefWorks, and share their references or entire database. Users must create a RefWorks account. Write-N-Cite, an application that must be downloaded, enables users to insert in text citations from their references into their papers. When using Write-N-Cite from off-campus, enter RWDrexelU as the Group Code, in addition to the RefWorks account login. The Group Code is case sensitive.
Check catalog for electronic and print journals; for a comprehensive list, search "Anesthesiology Periodicals" or "Anesthetics Periodicals" as a Subject. To search for critical care journals, search "Critical Care Periodicals" as a subject. To search for pain journals, search for "Pain Periodicals." Also see the alphabetic listings of Electronic Journals. Keep in mind when searching for journal titles that many journals use an acronym as the actual title, for example:
- BJA (British Journal of Anaesthesia)
- CRNA (Clinical Forum for Nurse Anesthetists )
Get It! Linking is provided from citations in databases such as CINAHL and MEDLINE to the Libraries’ journal collections; look for Get It! button. Get It! window will display options for obtaining the full-text of an article, including fulltext choices, possible print volumes available in library, or use on Interlibrary Loan services.
Many textbooks and reference books such as dictionaries and drug guides, as well as other books relevant to Anesthesiology are available electronically through the library catalog. Search by title, keyword or subject heading selecting “All Electronic Resources” to focus on electronic books. Selected anesthesiology & pain management e-books can be found in the list of Core Health Sciences E-books.
- American Academy of Pain Management The American Academy of Pain Management is the largest pain organization in the United States. The website has brochures as Adobe files, information on prescribing issues, and continuing education accreditation information.
- American Pain Society The American Pain Society's goal is to increase knowledge of pain, and change public policy and clinical practice to reduce pain-related suffering. This association has a large selection of special interest groups. The website's features includes abstracts archives, a glossary of pain terms, and links.
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Over ninty percent of CRNAs belong to the AANA. The website offers information on careers,practice documents, professional development, and a section for patients.
- This board examines and certifies physicians who complete an accredited program of anesthesiology training in the United States and voluntarily apply to the Board for certification or maintenance of certification. The website also includes an ABA Diplomat and Candidate Directory for certifying a physician's ABA certification status.
- The ASA seeks to raise and maintain the standards of medical practice for anesthesiologists. The website includes a patient safety section, career information, a placement service, an extensive list of links, and searchable database of websites and resources called DRAW, the Data Repository for the Anesthesia Workforce.
- American Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists The ASCCA is dedicated to educating anesthesiologists who take care of critically ill patients. The website provides access to the associations's newsletter, Interchange, abstracts, and links.
- American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses ASPAN represents over ten thousand members in ambulatory surgery, preanesthesia, and postanesthesia care.
- ASRA is the largest subspecialty society in anesthesiology. The website includes information on education, and consensus statements as PDF documents.
- The Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation fosters understanding of how to prevent anesthetic injuries, and educates its members in prevention. It includes newsletters and clinical safety and educational tools.
- The IARS provides CME activities to its members about the latest research data, and advances in topics such as perioperative medicine, critical care, and pain management. It includes links to grants and awards, abstracts, and other research organizations.
- International Association for the Study of Pain The IASP, a leading organization in pain-related research, sponsors research symposia and provides grants, awards, and fellowships to support international pain research. The website also has continuing education opportunities, resource links, and information about the World Congress on Pain.
- The Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia strives to keep the medical profession and the public informed about the role of anesthesiologists in the perioperative care of patients undergoing ambulatory surgery. SAMBA patient information is translated into many languages, and a monthly online eNewsletter is provided.
- The Society for Education in Anesthesia provides information for anesthesiology educators to improve their teaching skills and programs. The website has educational resources related to teaching medical students, and a competencies homepage.
- SOAP is a resource for anesthesiologists, obstetricians, future patients, and their families. The website has a directory of obstetric anesthesia fellows and training programs, a newsletter, and links.
- The Society for Pediatric Anesthesia supports the goals of the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the American Academy of Pediatrics. In addition to jobs and fellowship listings, the website also has an SPA Newsletter and a link for volunteer medical services.
- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists SCA, an international organization of physicians, promotes excellence in patient care through education and research in perioperative care for patients undergoing cardiothoracic and vascular procedures. Its website includes fellowship information, CME, and job postings.
- SNACC is an organization dedicated to improving the perioperative and intensive care of neurologically impaired patients or those at risk for developing neurological complications. The website includes a bibliography, case discussions, and job postings.
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology This organization's website includes information on residency programs, grants, a discussion forum, and a section on advanced training leading to membership in the College of Conscious Sedation.
- American Medical Association The AMA is the preeminent medical association in the United States. Its website has a newsroom section, professional resources, and medical school and residency information.
- American Nurses Association The ANA website, called Nursing World, is the main website for nurses. Nursing World includes online CE, ANA meetings and conventions information, and a nursing issues/program.
- American Pain Foundation This nonprofit organization provides advocacy for people with pain. The website has a pain information library, links about pain, and an online community.
- The ASDA comprises a group of dentists who have completed a minimum of two years of full-time postdoctoral training in anesthesiology. The website includes training programs, continuing education information, and a related links section.
- International Trauma Anesthesia and Critical Care Society The ITACCS is dedicated to improving trauma treatment and serves as a forum for the "traumatologist," including surgeons, emergency medicine physicians, and anesthesiologists. This website includes meeting abstracts, links, and information about its research organization, TRIGER.
- Royal College of Anaesthetists This association is responsible for the practice of anesthesia throughout the United Kingdom. The website provides patient standards and training information.
- SCATA promotes research about computing and technology related to anesthesia. Abstracts and a downloads section are on the website.
- Society of Critical Care Medicine The mission of the SCCM is to secure the highest quality care for all critically ill and injured patients. The SCCM website has an online newsletter, a professional development section, and training courses.
Content Editor: Gary Childs
Last Updated: 10/31/2012