- Suggested Databases
- Electronic Journals
- Electronic Texts and Theses
- College Nursing and Health Professions: Art Therapy Program
- Selected Web Resources
- (Dates vary) Full-text and image database covering the full spectrum of alternative medicine subject areas, Alt HealthWatch focuses on complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness. It draws from more than 140 international and often peer-reviewed reports, conference proceedings, and association and consumer newsletters. In addition, Alt HealthWatch includes pamphlets, special reports, original research and book excerpts.
- (Dates vary) Repository of hundreds of thousands of digital images and related data The tools to actively use those images and A restricted usage environment that seeks to balance the rights of content providers with the needs and interests of content users.
- Please click here to view Drexel University Libraries' CINAHL video tutorial. (1982-current) Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature: indexes books, journals and dissertations in nursing, physical therapy, medical technology and allied health areas.
- (1966-current) Educational Resources Information Center: contains citations to education-related research and technical reports, and to journal articles.
- Expanded Academic (1980-current) Provides full text for over 1,460 journals covering the social sciences, humanities, general science, multi-cultural studies, education, etc.
- (1985-current) Provides information on measurement instruments (questionnaires, etc.) for the health and psychosocial sciences, organizational behavior, and library and information science. MEDLINE (via PubMed and OVID) — MEDLINE is the premier database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. It contains over 20 million records of journal articles in all areas of the life sciences, with particular emphasis on biomedicine.
- MEDLINE via PubMed
- MEDLINE via OVID
- Oxford Music Online (Dates vary) A comprehensive online reference resource for all aspects of the visual arts worldwide.
- ( 1872-current) Covers books, dissertations and journals in the psychological and behavioral sciences, including the creative arts therapies. Uses the OVID interface and the Thesaurus of Psychological Indexing Terms.
- allows users to format their citations and papers into a particular format, export or manually add references into RefWorks, and share their references or entire database. Users must create a RefWorks account. Write-N-Cite, an application that must be downloaded, enables users to insert in-text citations from their references into their papers. When using Write-N-Cite from off-campus, enter RWDrexelU as the Group Code, in addition to the RefWorks account login. The Group Code is case sensitive. Please click here to view Drexel University Libraries' RefWorks video tutorial.
- (1983-present) Covers English-language periodicals in the social sciences, humanities, science, and business.
- PsyArt: An Online Journal for the Psychological Study of the Arts "PsyArt is a peer-reviewed, archived journal focused on psychological studies of the arts: literature, film, visual arts, or music. It is available free to anyone using the Internet."
Check catalog for electronic and print journals; for a comprehensive list, search "Art Therapy Periodicals" as a Subject. Also see the alphabetic listings of Electronic Journals. Keep in mind when searching for journal titles that many journals use an acronym as the actual title, for example:
- IJAM (International Journal of Arts Medicine)
Get It! Linking is provided from citations in databases such as CINAHL and MEDLINE to the Libraries’ journal collections; look for Get It! button. Get It! window will display options for obtaining the full-text of an article, including fulltext choices, possible print volumes available in library, or use on Interlibrary Loan services.
Any textbooks and reference books such as dictionaries, as well as other books relevant to Art Therapy are available electronically through the library catalog. Search by title, keyword or subject heading selecting “All Electronic Resources” to focus on electronic books. Selected Psychology & Psychiatry e-books can be found in the list of Core Health Sciences E-books. Health Sciences Theses & Dissertations collection at iDEA: Drexel E-Repository and Archives iDEA is a centralized virtual space to access unique digital resources produced by the Drexel community. The Creative Arts in Therapy Theses collection has a number of digitized theses by Drexel alumni in Music Therapy, Art Therapy, and Dance/Movement Therapy.
( for full listing of print and electronic theses; for a comprehensive list, search "" as a Keyword)
- American Art Therapy Association A national not-for-profit organization founded in 1969 to promote the therapeutic use of art. Events, publications, and links to affiliate organizations are presented here.
- Art Therapies Credentials Board (ATCB) The website provides information on requirements for registration and certification. Exam schedules are posted here in addition to information on continuing education.
- Australian and New Zealand Art Therapy Association Provides an overview of art therapy including a reading list.
- British Association of Art Therapists Information about the organization, news and events, and continuing professional development.
- British Columbia Art Therapy Association BCATA was founded in 1978 and provides professional registration for art therapists in British Columbia, Canada. Includes an online newsletter, partial membership directory, and information on workshops.
- Delaware Valley Art Therapy Association An affiliate chapter of the American Art therapy Association, Inc. which serves Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey, and Delaware.
- National Coalition of Arts Therapies Associations (NCATA) Founded in 1979, NCATA represents over 8000 individual members of six creative arts therapies associations. Presents information related to art and other creative therapies.
- Society for the Arts in Healthcare SAH is a non-for-profit organization that promotes integration of the arts into healthcare settings. Includes a bibliography of resources related to the arts in healthcare, grant opportunities, and links to arts in healing programs across the U.S.
- VSA Arts Formerly Very Special Arts, VSA Arts is an international organization offering arts-based programs to people with disabilities. Online exhibits of artwork and a searchable web resources database are highlights of this site.
- ArtBrut The website of a private dealer specializing in the Art of Trauma, Brutarian Art, Outsider Art, Visionary, Folk, and Found Art. Includes an online gallery and information on Art Brut, with "thoughtful text by both the psychiatric and art communities.
- Art Therapy for Neurological Needs Del Giacco's Art Therapy focuses on rehabilitation through art for the neurologically impaired.
- Art Therapy on the Web Includes an online discussion group, and a nice collection of links. Discusses the role of the web in art therapy.
- The Arts and Healing Network Focuses on the healing potential of art and the creative process. Includes information on classes, community projects, and an online newsletter.
- Boston Institute for Arts Therapy Provides arts therapy outreach to residents of the greater Boston area.
- Darcy's Art Studio A virtual gallery of the paintings of Darcy Lynn, in which the artist explores a range of themes including the healing power of creativity.
- The Da Vinci Broken Art Gallery A virtual gallery of the oil paintings of B.C. Weber, a neuroscientist with multiple sclerosis, who emulates Leonardo Da Vinci in his attempt to use art and science to understand his disease.
- Expressive Therapy Concepts A not-for-profit organization that provides education and service in the creative arts therapies. Includes information on conferences and educational materials.
- Hospital Audiences, Inc. A not-for-profit organization that provides access to the arts to people with mental and physical disabilities. Includes an online gallery and information for artists working with the disabled.
- Institute for the Psychological Study of the Arts The research and professional side of the Literature and Psychology program at the University of Florida, which extends toward the psychological study of other arts, such as film, visual arts, video, etc.
- Jessica Kingsley Publishers' Art Therapy Catalog A listing of this publisher's Art therapy titles that are currently in print.
- Marty Levenson's Art Therapy Website A well designed website from a registered art therapist. Provides an overview of art therapy and a decent collection of related links.
- Origami and Mental Health Therapy Provides information on the use of origami as therapy. Includes folding diagrams for various origami shapes.
- Vicky Barber's Art Therapy Home Page Includes a nice presentation of artistic methods that can be used in therapy.
- Open Directory - Health: Mental Health: Counseling Services: Expressive Therapies: Art
- Yahoo: Art Therapy
This page originally composed by Kristina McShea, former Graduate Student, College of Information Science and Technology, Drexel University.
Content Editor: Gary Childs
Last Updated: 10/31/2012