- About DynaMed
- Request a Serial Number
- Supported Devices
- Technical Requirements
- Installation Requirements
- Renewing DynaMed
DynaMed is a clinical reference tool created for use primarily at the 'point-of-care', providing clinically-organized summaries for more than 3,000 topics. DynaMed is updated daily and monitors the content of over 500 medical journals and systematic evidence review databases directly and indirectly by using many journal review services. The Libraries’ DynaMed license includes access via Mobile devices, including PDAs, Smartphones, BlackBerry, and iPhone (see below for details of supported devices).
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org using your institution's e-mail address extension requesting a serial number for your device. You can send your message from either @drexel.edu or @drexelmed.edu.
Note: Please do not use any personal e-mail accounts such as @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com or @gmail.com when making a request for a serial number, DynaMed cannot validate that you are affiliated with Drexel when using these e-mail addresses.
In your email message, please specify which type of mobile device you are using to download DynaMed. (e.g. BlackBerry, iPhone, etc.) You should receive your serial number by email in about 24 hours.
- Palms – Devices running Palm OS 3.5 and higher. For example: Palm m500 series, Palm m700 series, Treo series, Tungsten series, and Zire series
- Pocket PC – Devices running Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 or Microsoft PocketPC 2000 (ARM/X-SCALE only), PocketPC 2002, PocketPC 2003, PocketPC 2003 SE.
- Supported Devices:
- Pocket PC 2000, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003
- Devices that use Intel StrongArm, X-Scale, and Samsung processors
- Supported Devices:
- Windows Smartphone
- BlackBerry – Devices running OS 4.1 and higher
- iPhone and iPod Touch – Native application with these features:
- Fixed title and tool bars to simplify navigation
- Previously-viewed topic history
- Incremental index searching for efficient topic access
- Modification of font size in topic view
- Quick (A-Z) indexing
- "See Also" links to related results
- SmartTabs for efficient navigation
Note: The Web-based version of DynaMed can be accessed with a wireless Internet connection on a variety of handheld devices.
Disk Requirements: DynaMed requires 64 megabytes of disk space on either the mobile device or a memory card for Palm devices and 66 megabytes of disk space on Windows devices. Note: Only files with an extension of .pdb can be put onto a memory card, read only files cannot be put onto the memory card. Prior to installation on a PC or Mac, make sure you Synchronize your device with your computer. To make sure you are automatically registered you also want to ensure that when installing DynaMed via a Windows system you have an active internet connection during the installation process. Use of DynaMed on some devices may require that you establish a Skyscape account.
Installing DynaMed via a Windows system Note: DynaMed is automatically updated when you synchronize your mobile device with your computer.
Installing DynaMed via a MAC system Note: The Hot Sync process might take 20 minutes or longer. To update DynaMed on your mobile device via a MAC system you must complete all the steps in the "To install DynaMed via a MAC" procedure. Note that to update DynaMed you do not need a new DynaMed serial number nor do you need to re-register with Skyscape.
Your access to DynaMed expires one year after registration. To continue using DynaMed contact email@example.com to obtain a new serial number and then complete the following renewal process.
Note: If DynaMed is not synchronized to your mobile device from your computer, use the links above for instructions to install DynaMed to your desktop.
Once DynaMed has been installed to your desktop, you can renew your DynaMed serial number in your mobile device. To renew your serial number for DynaMed mobile access:
- Access your computer desktop, and then click the My Skyscape icon.
- Click the tab that corresponds with your device (Palm or Windows Mobile).
- Click DynaMed. My Skyscape displays a pop up window.
- Click Register in the pop up window.
- Follow the registration prompts. When the Serial Number section appears, enter your new serial number. Note: If your previous serial number is listed, replace it with your new serial number.
- Continue to follow the registration prompts until the process is complete and synchronize your device.
Following the completion of this procedure, updates to your device will continue as usual with no need to reinstall any software.
Content Editor: Kathleen Turner
Last Updated: 10/31/2012