- Suggested Databases
- Electronic Books
- Citation Help
- Instructional Resources
- Nursing Theory
- Directories and Other Resources
- College of Nursing and Health Professions
- CINAHL (1982 - present) Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature: indexes books, journals and dissertations in nursing, physical therapy, medical technology and allied health areas. MEDLINE (via PubMed and OVID) -- MEDLINE is the premier database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. It contains over 12 million records of journal articles in all areas of the life sciences, with particular emphasis on biomedicine.
- NursingConsult (Current) Mosby's Nursing Consult brings together several leading nursing resources to help nurses efficiently find answers to pressing clinical questions. It includes the Latest Drug Information, Patient Education Information, Professional Journals, Reference Books, Current News, Clinical Practice Information, Evidence-based Content, and Care Planning Tools. NursingConsult also includes the database, Mosby's Nursing Index, which has journal titles that CINAHL does not own.
- Primal Pictures (Current) Includes Interactive Functional Anatomy and Complete Human Anatomy -- both are 3D interactive human models. Enable pop-ups for optimal viewing.
- Proquest Nursing and Allied Health Source (1986-current) Contains articles from over 500 journals which cover nursing and allied health.
- Dissertations & Theses (1861-current) With more than 1.5 million entries, ProQuest's Dissertations & Theses is the one central, authoritative source for information about doctoral dissertations and master's theses.
- HAPI (Health and Psychosocial Instruments) (1985-present) Provides information on measurement instruments (questionnaires, etc.) for the health and psychosocial sciences, organizational behavior, and library and information science.
- Health Sciences: a SAGE Full-Text Collection (1982-present) Contains 24 journals published by SAGE and various societies. This database also covers additional subjects like aging and gerontology, public health, and research methods. Full text available from 1982 to present.
- PsycINFO (1806-present) Covers books, dissertations, and journals in the psychological and behavioral sciences, including the creative arts therapies. Uses the OVID interface and the Thesaurus of Psychological Indexing Terms.
The Drexel Libraries offer an extensive collection of nursing journals, including nearly 300 electronic journals. To find a specific journal, search for it by title in the Library Catalog. For a comprehensive list, search "Nursing-periodicals" as a Subject. Also see the alphabetic listings of Electronic Journals for Nursing. Keep in mind when searching for journal titles that many journals use an acronym as the actual title, for example:
- ANS (Advanced Nursing Science)
- AORN Journal (Association of Operating Room Nurses)
- JOGNN (Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing)
Get It! Linking is provided from citations in databases such as CINAHL and MEDLINE to the Libraries' journal collections; look for Get It! button. Get It! window will display options for obtaining the full-text of an article, including fulltext choices, possible print volumes available in library, or use on Interlibrary Loan services. Also see Getting to Journals and Journal Articles (ppt) for help in navigating the Libraries' electronic journals.
Many textbooks and reference books such as dictionaries and drug guides, as well as other books relevant to Nursing are available electronically through the library catalog. Search by title, keyword or subject heading selecting "All Electronic Resources" to focus on electronic books. Selected nursing e-books can be found in the list of Core Health Sciences E-books.
RefWorks is a web-based software application that helps you manage citations. It helps you keep track of the sources you are using for your research and your own notes about the sources. It will also create bibliographies for you in the format you specify (APA, IEEE, etc.). The downloadable Write-N-Cite plug-in facilitates inclusion of references within a paper. For more information on RefWorks see RefWorks Overview. For complete information about APA style, consult The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association; multiple copies are available at each library. APA Helper (pdf file) -- tips for using APA Publication Style.
- Evaluating Internet Health Information: A Tutorial from the National Library of Medicine-The tutorial can either be viewed with a Flash plug-in or can be downloaded onto a computer.
- Lippincott's NursingCenter.com-This online learning center offers continuing education courses online, recommended readings, and free newsletters.
- Medscape for Nurses-This Medscape webite features free CME courses and conference coverage.
- National League for Nursing (NLN)-The NLN website offers online courses related to teaching, links to workshops and conferences, and a Professional Development Bulletin.
- Nursing Spectrum-This website specializes in career management information.
- NurseScribe-This website provides links to websites for lifelong learning. It also has a page of Nursing Theorist links.
- RN Central- Its offerings include care plans, chat, and free software.
- American Nurses Association Hall of Fame - This section of the ANA website contains profiles of inductees from 1976 onward.
- Black Nurses in History: a bibliography and guide to resources-This website was created by UMDMJ.
- Clayton State University Department of Nursing Theory Link Page-This website lists in alphabetical order the names of nursing theorists with links to more information.
- Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science Nursing Theory Page-This website was done as a collaborative effort by an international group interested in developing a collection of resources about nursing theories throughout the world.
- Jones and Bartlett Nursing Theory Art Gallery-This art gallery displays the creative works of nursing students across the country.
- Mayo Clinic: Nursing Theorists-This Mayo Clinic page on select nursing theorists has book chapters, articles, and videos.
- AdvancedPracticeJobs.com-This is a searchable database of nursing and physician assistant jobs.
- Allnurses.com - This website includes nursing news, discussion lists, job listings, and an extensive directory of websites.
- All Nursing Schools-Browse for nursing schools by category and zipcode, including online programs.
- Barbara Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing-Located at the University of Pennsylvania, the Barbara Bates Center encourages and facilitates historical scholarship on health care history and nursing in the United States.
- Cybernurse-This website of links was started by two nurses that has been around for ten years.
- The Florence Project, Inc.-This is a non-profit healthcare advocacy organization.
- Hardin Meta Directory's Nursing and Nursing Research-Produced by the Hardin Library at University of Iowa, this website includes links to other directories and comprehensive websites.
- Nursetown.com-This website offers nursing employment of all kinds.
- Nursing Degree Guide-This website provides a directory of NLNAC and CCNE accredited nursing programs.
- NursingNet- Its features include a mentoring program, NCLEX review, web forums, and employment resources.
- Nursing on the Net: health care resources you can use-National Library of Medicine page with links to health news, multicultural resources, pda resources, and more.
- Nursing Volunteer Opportunities in Developing Nations-This website has organizational links, profiles of nurses who have volunteered, and travel tips.
- Nursing World - American Nurses Association site. Includes access to the free, peer-reviewed newsletter, OJIN: Online Journal of Issues in Nursing.
- Open Directory- contains links to alternative medicine, organizations, and patient education.
- Virtual Nursing Center-This website is a part of Martindale's Health Science Guide, a large international directory.
Page maintained by Kathleen Turner firstname.lastname@example.org Updated 12/14/2010
Content Editor: Kathleen Turner
Last Updated: 10/31/2012