- Specific Author or Illustrator
- Review of a Specific Book
- Criticism of a Specific Book
- Collection Development
- Story Time Resources on the Web
- General Information
- Essential Guide to Children's Books and Their Creators -- PRINT Ref PS490 .E85 2002
- Illustrators of Children's Books -- PRINT Ref NC 965 .I4x
- Index To Internet Sites: Children's & Young Adults' Authors & Illustrators -- WWW Home pages of numerous authors and illustrators organized alphabetically
- Literature Online (LION) -- ELECTRONIC Includes biographies of major authors writing in English. Search by the author's last name after clicking the "Find Authors" button. You can also search for authors from specific time periods or literary movements.
- Literature Resource Center -- ELECTRONIC Provides access to biographical information about writers from every age and literary discipline. Provides information on more than 120,000 novelists, poets, essayists, journalists, and other writers.
- Writers for Young Adults -- PRINT Ref Z 1037 .A1 .W74
- A To Zoo: Subject Access To Children's Picture Books -- PRINT -- and ELECTRONIC Ref Z 1037 L715 2006 Prefaced by a short history of the English-language picture book, with bibliography. Arranged by subject and also by author's name. PLEASE NOTE: An electronic version of A to Zoo can be found inside Books in Print - see the link for "Children's Room" along the upper right.
- Book Review Index -- ELECTRONIC Gale's comprehensive guide to book reviews with 5 million+ review citations from thousands of publications. Has the entire backfile of the printed "Book Review Index" from 1965 to present. Similar to HW Wilson's "Book Review Digest" it covers popular, academic and professional books. SFX links lead to full-text of reviews.
- Booklist -- WWW Reviews of the latest books and electronic media. Every year nearly 4,000 books reviewed for adults, more than 2,500 titles for children.
- Books in Print -- ELECTRONIC Web version of the library classic, also includes more than 300,000 full-text reviews from 11 leading sources. Permits browsing by ten main indexes such as AWARD or LANGUAGE, and also by subject headings such as JUVENILE or COMICS.
- Carol Hurst's Children's Literature Site -- WWW A collection of reviews of great books for kids, ideas of ways to use them in the classroom and collections of books and activities about particular subjects, curriculum areas, themes and professional topics.
- Children's Literature Comprehensive Database CLCD -- ELECTRONIC CLCD is an ever growing online database with over 300,000 reviews and related information on children’s literature. CLCD contains reviews from over 36 quality reviewers including: The ALAN Review; BookList; The Horn Book Guide; and KIRKUS
- Kirkus Reviews -- WWW Reviews approximately 5,000 titles - Fiction, Mystery, Science Fiction, Foreign Language, Non-Fiction and Children's - per year.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe -- ELECTRONIC Provides full text coverage of magazines and newspapers. Useful for reviews of children's books and biographical information on juvenile authors.
- JSTOR -- ELECTRONIC Searchable full text archives of journal articles on various topics, including literature.
- Literature Online (LION) -- ELECTRONIC Literature Resource Center -- ELECTRONIC MLA Bibliography-- ELECTRONIC ... as mentioned above.
- Project Muse -- ELECTRONIC Includes full text access to more than 30 literature journals.
- Twentieth Century Children's Writers -- PRINT Ref PN 1009 .A1 .T92x Covers 800+ children's writers both American and foreign. Each entry contains a brief biography, a bibliography of separately published works, and a signed critical essay.
See research guide for School Librarianship
- Books In Print -- ELECTRONIC Web version of the library classic, permits browsing by ten main indexes such as AWARD or LANGUAGE, and also by subject headings such as JUVENILE or COMICS. Includes children's books awards from 1982-present. Includes all content from "Children's Books in Print" published separately.
- Children's Books: Awards & Prizes -- PRINT Ref Z 1037 A2 C45x Lists children's book awards recipients for United States awards, British Commonwealth awards and international and multinational awards. Includes title and person indexes.
- Newbery & Caldecott Medal & Honor Books In Other Media -- PRINT Ref Z 1037 A2 S4 Provides a comprehensive list of commercial and public print and non print media adapted from Newbery and Caldecott Medal books.
- International Children's Digital Library -- WWW The world's largest international digital library for children ages 3 to 13 to experience different cultures through literature with over 1000 books in 15 languages representing 27 cultures. From the Univ of Maryland and the Internet Archive - a partnership of government, non-profit, industry and academic organizations. Very cool visual presentation.
- Selected e-storybooks in the Drexel Libraries catalog -- ELECTRONIC
- Storytelling Encyclopedia -- ELECTRONIC Historical, Cultural, and Multiethnic Approaches to Oral Traditions Around the World
- Z 1037
- Children's literature
- Children's reference books -- Bibliography.
- PN1009 A1
- Children's literature -- history and criticism
- Children's literature -- study and teaching
- Children's stories
Finding BooksChildren's Literature -- PRINT Ref PR990 .H85 2001 Provides a comprehensive introduction to English-language children's literature from the eighteenth century to 2000. It includes critical surveys of the work of forty major authors, studies of over twenty key texts, and discussion of important issues, themes, and genres.
- The Children's Literature Dictionary -- PRINT Definitions, resources, and learning activities Ref PN1008.5 .L38 2002
- International Companion Encyclopedia of Children's Literature -- PRINT Ref PN 1008.5 .I57 1996 Presents a wide range of international critical theories, attitudes, and approaches to the study of children's literature.
- ERIC on EBSCO 1967-present (see SFX links for full text) — ELECTRONIC Journal articles, agency reports, and much more. The authoritative repository for the teaching discipline published by the U.S. Department of Education. SEARCH TIPS: On the EBSCO platform, try “limiting your results” using the new “Education Level” or “Peer-Reviewed” option. Or, use the thesaurus to identify your terms. Then with the Advanced Search, use the drop down menus to specify your terms as “SU Descriptors,” placing quotes around any search phrases.
- ERIC.ed.gov - on free web (see “Find in a Library” links for full text) — WEB
SEARCH TIPS: On the free web platform, use the thesaurus to identify your search terms. Then in Advanced Search, specify your terms as “descriptors” and place quotes around them.
For help, consult the guide to ERIC resources. I recommend trying your search in both this EBSCO and the free web version of ERIC - results may differ!
- Education Periodicals -- ELECTRONIC A great all around education database on the friendly Proquest platform.
Content Editor: Tim Siftar
Last Updated: 10/31/2012