- Finding Books
- Finding Articles
- Proceedings & Dissertations
- Encyclopedias, Reference & Other
- Associations, Research Centers
Scope of this guide:
Information retrieval has two major aspects - the first dealing with the technology of search and storage, and the second dealing with human factors the aspect of a user's interaction with the retrieval process. This guide proposes to focus primarily on the technology aspect. More info on user interaction may be found in the HCI Research Guide.
Searching the catalog for books: Try a keyword search:
"information retrieval" (use quotes for best results)
Try a subject search:
search full-text within the a collection of e-books such as IGI: IGI Books
Search terms "optimiz* and retrieval" (using quotes - then refine results)
Also see this great list of IR books at Stanford:
- ACM Digital Library & Guide to Computing Literature -- ELECTRONIC Two separate products from the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery). The Digital Library includes abstracts, reviews, and the full-text of articles published in ACM periodicals and proceedings since 1985. The Guide to Computing Literature has abstracts-only of non-ACM computing literature and (through SFX) often links to full-text. Covers many computing-oriented information science topics.
- InfoSci Journals -- ELECTRONIC A full-text collection of peer-reviewed journals focused on specialized topics in advanced technology research as well as the organizational, managerial, behavioral, and social implications of technology.
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science -- ELECTRONIC Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) publishes hundreds of conference proceedings every year with new developments in computer science and information technology research. Includes the series in Artificial Intelligence (LNAI) and Bioinformatics (LNBI). If a proceeding is not in ACM, then it's here in LNCS. Content goes back to 1973.
- ScienceDirect -- ELECTRONIC A deep and diverse collection of journals from publishing giant Elsevier, includes many computing titles.
- Web of Science --ELECTRONIC This abstract-only source covers high impact information science journals as well as all other academic topics. Through its citation tracking, ranking and sorting features you can quickly identify seminal papers of interest and, through SFX links, find full-text. Try the various "analyze" features. A *must* for serious researchers.
- ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS): dblp home
- Information Processing and Management (IP&M): dblp home
- Information Retrieval: dblp home
- International Journal on Digital Libraries: dblp home
- Journal of the American Society of Information Science and Technology (JASIST): dblp home
- SIGIR Forum: dblp home Journal of Documentation D-Lib Magazine
- Data & Knowledge Engineering: dblp home
- Information Processing Letters: dblp home Information Research
- Information Systems: dblp home
- Journal of Intelligent Information Systems: dblp home
- Knowledge and Information Systems: dblp home
- Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval
- Research presented at conferences is often more cutting edge than what gets published in journals. This is especially the case in the computer science field. Find information retrieval conference proceedings in LNCS, ACM Digital Library and also in the multidisciplinary Papers First - a world-wide index to papers of conferences and meetings received at the British Library. Other finding aides include an index to the full meetings themselves Proceedings First or the global library catalog WorldCat that can help verify details before ordering hard-to-find items through the Library link to Borrow from Other Libraries for inter-library loan. See detailed list of major conferences in IR below.
- Proquest Dissertations & Theses The most comprehensive source for student theses. Dissertations from 1980 forward have 350-word abstracts. Citations for master's theses from 1988 forward include 150-word abstracts. All titles published since 1997 are available in in PDF format and have 24 page previews available. Drexel dissertations are available in full text from 1997. Other dissertations and theses are available for online purchase.
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology -- PRINT Hagerty REF Z699.A1 A65 Great 10-20 page scholarly reviews of recent developments in information science and technology with many references to the published literature. Topics vary each year with whatever is hot. An online index to 41 volumes can be searched online here. Drexel iSchool faculty are regularly published in ARIST.
- Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology -- ELECTRONIC & PRINT REF Z1006 .E566 2005 Includes over 550 articles covering concepts, issues & emerging technologies in five volumes.
- IGI Global - Special Topic Encyclopedias -- ELECTRONIC (for all IGI books or see individual links below) Over forty specialty IT topics. Check out the following encyclopedias of ...
- Database technologies and applications
- Internet technologies and applications
- Knowledge management
- Artificial intelligence
- Data warehousing and mining
- FYI - Not an exhaustive list, due to constant new releases from IGI. To see the latest - check the full list of books from IGI Global and scroll down to the titles beginning with the word "Encyclopedia." Or try a keyword search in the catalog for "IGI and encyclopedia."
- Other Resources
- Glossary (Modern Information Retrieval)
- Information retrieval research links @ Search Tools
- BUBL: Information Retrieval Links
- LSU: Information Retrieval Systems
- Open Directory: Information Retrieval Links
- UBC: Indexing Resources
- IR & Neural Networks, Symbolic Learning, Genetic Algorithms
- A stop list (a list of stop words)
- Research Centers
- CMU (LTI)
- Dublin CU
- Geneva (Viper)
- Helsinki Institute for Information Technology
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Information Retrieval Facility (IRF)
- Microsoft Research
- Queen Mary
- Cross Language Evaluation Forum (CLEF)
- SIGIR 2009
- CIKM 2009
- WWW 2009
- JCDL 2009
- RIAO 2010
- ECIR 2010
- SPIRE 2009
- Norbert Fuhr's IR conference calendar
- ACM SIGIR
- BCS IRSG
Content Editor: Tim Siftar
Last Updated: 10/31/2012