Modern Medicine: Examining the State of the Art is a large, diverse and cross discipline study. Topics included are medical education, sites of medical practice, medical and bioscience research, doctors and patients, emerging frontiers in therapies andpractice, alternative medical traditions and medicine in popular culture. This guide will act as a pointer to resources and search strategies to further your research.
- Finding Books
- Searching from a Medical Perspective
- Searching from a Social Perspective
- Some Web Sites
- Searching from a New Technologies Perspective
- Further Databases
- An important trick!
- A Few Sites to Follow for News
- Searching the catalog for books on modern medical issues:
- Try a keyword search:
- frontiers and medicine public health and research technologies and medicine
- Try an LC subject search:
- Medical Education Medicine -- Research -- United States -- Finance
- Try a MeSH subject search:
- Schools, Medical Fund Raising Practice Management, Medical
- MEDLINE via OVID -- Electronic or
- MEDLINE via PubMed -- WWW In OVID, a search on medical centers or medical web sites will retieve numerous articles. New therapies as a basic search will retieve a large set. Consider narrowing by a particular disease or treatment. Searching on alternative medicine will bring a substantial set, again consider narrowing by country or culture or specific method. See MEDLINE Learning Resources for tutorials and helpful searching tips.
- CINAHL via EBSCO -- Electronic This database gives a slightly different coverage of the medical literature covering the nursing, physical therapy, medical technology and allied health areas. Try: CAM (Complimentary and Alternative Medicine), decision making, medical schools, alternative therapies, professional development, exploratory research.
- Sociological Abstracts -- Electronic Descriptors are useful in this database. Search terms that with substanial results are alternative medicine and "modern medicine" and "popular culture" Try: medicalization, mass media images, traditional medicine, medical decision making, cultural maintenence.
- PsycINFO -- Electronic Indexes and abstracts books, dissertations and journal articles in the psychological and behavioral sciences, including the creative arts therapies. Try: doctors and patients, new therapies, new frontiers, medicine and popular culture.
- Information Sites for Patients Seeking Information:-- WWW Medical Top Twenty Best Sites
- ProQuest Research Library -- Electronic This database include a broad cache of trade magazines which tend to be the heralds of new technologies.
- IEEE Xplore -- Electronic This engineering database extensively covers the biomedical engineering literture. Here you will want to use specifice technologies to refine your search such as imaging, naotechnology, regeneration, equipment, information, robotics, etc.
- Anthropology & Sociology Databases
- Medicine/Biomedical Sciences Databases
- Public Health Databases
- Health Sciences
- How to Fund Science: The Future of Medical Research -- WWW This report stems from results of a workshop organized by The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and sponsored by The Funding First Program of the Mary Woodard Lasker Trust, and The Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
- National Institutes of Health -- WWW NIH is the steward of medical and behavioral research for the Nation. Its mission is science in pursuit of fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application of that knowledge to extend healthy life and reduce the burdens of illness and disability.
- National Library of Medicine -- WWW The National Library of Medicine (NLM), on the campus of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, is the world's largest medical library. The Library collects materials and provides information and research services in all areas of biomedicine and health care.
- Association of American Medical Colleges -- WWW The AAMC and the medical schools, teaching hospitals, academic and professional societies, faculty, residents, and students we represent are committed to improving the nation's health through medical education, research, and high-quality patient care.
- American Medical News -- WWW The newspaper for America's Physicians. From AMA.
- Inverness Medical Innovations -- WWW Inverness Medical Innovations, Inc. is a major global developer, manufacturer and marketer of advanced, pioneering consumer and professional medical diagnostic products. Latest areas of focus are in the application of patented technologies to products in consumer and professional diagnostics, principally in the fields of Cardiology, Women’s Health, and Infectious Diseases.
- Health IT -- WWW Tracking the info tech innovations in healthcare, medicine, and medical gadgets
- University of Maryland Medical Center -- WWW Here is a listing of news releases from the University of Maryland Medical Center and the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Together, we are a large academic medical center and a leader in research, patient care, medical education and residency training.
- Medscape -- WWW From WebMD. Requires registration, but is free.
- Medtronic Newsroom -- WWW This resource is intended for investors and media professionals who are looking to learn more about Medtronic and the full range of solutions that we provide to those living with chronic disease.
Content Editor: Peggy Dominy
Last Updated: 10/31/2012
Powered by Drupal