- Dance GV 1580 – GV 1799.4
- International Bibliography of Theatre and Dance Full Text -- ELECTRONIC A fully indexed, cross-referenced and annotated databank of over 60,000 journal articles, books, book articles and dissertation abstracts on all aspects of theatre and performance. Full text available includes more than 100 journals. Note that, despite its name, not all articles are available full-text, and you will need to use the SFX button to locate all options.
- International Index to the Performing Arts (IIPA) -- ELECTRONIC Provides indexing, abstracts and selected full text from sources including dance. Note that not all articles are available full-text from IIPA, and you will need to use the SFX button to locate all options.
- JSTOR -- ELECTRONIC JSTOR is a not-for-profit organization with a dual mission to create and maintain a trusted archive of important scholarly journals, and to provide access to these journals as widely as possible. JSTOR offers researchers the ability to retrieve high-resolution, scanned images of journal issues and pages as they were originally designed, printed, and illustrated. Content in JSTOR spans many disciplines.Tip: When you first get into Jstor, go to ADVANCED SEARCH. Type in the phrase (or, person’s name) that you are looking for, and then Narrow Your Search using the tick-boxes below the search box. Limit to ARTICLE, otherwise, you will get a lot of book and/or performance reviews.
- International Bibliography of Theatre and Dance Full Text -- ELECTRONIC Full text available includes more than 100 journals and over 50 books & monographs such as Art and the Performance of Memory, Who's Who in Contemporary World Theatre, World Encyclopedia of Contemporary Theatre and many more. Note that, despite its name, not all articles are available full-text, and you will need to use the GetIt button to locate all options
- Search the catalog (http://innopac.library.drexel.edu/search/) -- ELECTRONIC Search by keyword the name of the dancer or choreographer that you are interested in. There may be an entire book on this person. If not, broaden your search to look for monographs on the type of dance or the time period and then check those book's index for the subject that you are interested in.
- International Encyclopedia of Dance -- ELECTRONIC and PRINT The print edition can be found on the reference shelves at GV 1585 I586 2004 Great reference for all things relating to dance. Six volume set.
- Oxford Dictionary of Dance -- ELECTRONIC "Offers wide coverage of dancers, choreographers, teachers, composers, technical terms, major works, important films, and organizations involved in the dance world. It embraces the new activity within traditional forms like ballet as well as the stream of new dance languages invented by fresh generations of choreographers and the many dance forms imported from the rest of the world. There is information on classical ballet, Spanish flamenco, Indian Bharata Natyam, Japanese Butoh, and jazz. The volume also covers post-modern dance, examining everything from Balanchine to recent practitioners of Eurocrash, minimalism, and contact improvisation."
- Dance in Video -- ELECTRONIC Dance in Video will contain 250 dance productions and documentaries by the most influential performers and companies of the 20th century. Selections cover ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, experimental, and improvisational dance, as well as forerunners of the forms and the pioneers of modern concert dance. This release includes 47 videos, equalling 82 hours.
Videos -- Hagerty Library also has a small collection of DVDs and VHS tapes pertaining to dance. Search the catalog by title for a specific title and then limit to Material Type: Slide/Film/Vid. Here is just a sample of what we have available:
- African-Haitian Dance Class: Dunham Technique
- America Dances! 1897-1948: A Collector's Edition of Social Dance in Film
- Choreography by Balanchine
- (American Ballet Theatre)
- An Evening with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
- Great Pas de Deux
- How to Choreograph
- Isadora Duncan: Movement from the Soul
- The Nutcracker
- Swan Lake: Ballet in Four Acts
- A time to dance : the life and work of Norma Canner
- The Trilogy of Ballet: a Bolshoi Collection
- West African Dance
Drexel University Libraries subscribes to the following periodicals in PRINT:
- Dance Chronicle (also available electronically)
- Dance Magazine (also available electronically)
- Dance Research Journal
- Journal of Dance Education
Also note the following titles that we have ELECTRONIC access to:
- Dance Research: the journal of the Society for Dance Research
- Dance Spirit
- Dance Teacher
- Journal of physical education, recreation & dance
This is not a complete list, however. Please check the library catalog for a specific title.
Content Editor: Tom Ipri
Last Updated: 10/31/2012