- Finding Books
- Recommended Databases
- Finding Industry News
- Finding Industry Information and Statistics
- Suggested Journals and Magazines
- Finding Theses
- Other Links
- Searching the catalog for books on Entertainment or Arts:
- Try a keyword search:
- Entertainment Industry
- Try a subject search:
- Performing arts — Economic aspects.
- Or browse the 2nd floor stacks:
- Sports and sports management
- GV 700s
- Music Trade (Business)
- ML 3790
- Broadcasting, including radio and television
- PN 1990-1992.92
- Administration of the Arts
- NX 760 – NX 770
- Arts Centers and Facilities
- NX 798 – NX 820
- Business and Company Resource Center – ELECTRONIC
Good for finding magazine articles about a company or industry. The database focuses on trade and popular publications along with some scholarly journals as well.
- Business Source Premier – ELECTRONIC
Database focusing on business publications. Includes electronic access to the Harvard Business Review and the MIT Sloan Management Review.
- Film Literature Index – WWW
Indexes 150 film and television periodicals from 30 countries cover-to-cover and 200 other periodicals selectively for articles on film and television.
- Hoovers – ELECTRONIC Offers profiles of more than 50,000 US and international companies. Each profile may include company description, historical profile, competitors, financials, industry information, and biographies of executives.
- International Bibliography of Theatre and Dance Full Text – ELECTRONIC A fully cross-referenced and annotated databank of over 60,000 journal articles, books, book articles and dissertation abstracts on all aspects of theatre and performance. Full text available includes more than 100 journals. Note that, despite its name, not all articles are available full-text, and you will need to use the SFX button to locate all options.
- International Index to the Performing Arts – ELECTRONIC IIPA Full Text provides indexing, abstracts and selected full text from sources including dance, film, drama, television, the arts and entertainment industry, stagecraft, magic, musical theatre and performance art.
- Proquest – ELECTRONIC Huge multi-disciplinary database that includes electronic access to International Journal of Arts Management, The Journal of Arts Management, Law and Society and Journal of Cultural Economics. Also includes access to magazines such as Time, Newsweek, and Philadelphia Magazine.
- Factiva – ELECTRONIC
Global news and business information service that combines the content sets of Dow Jones Interactive and Reuters Business Briefing. Includes The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, Dow Jones and Reuters newswires and the Associated Press, as well as Reuters Fundamentals, D&B, and Bureau van Dijk company profiles. More than 9,000 sources from 152 countries in 22 languages, including more than 120 continuously updated newswires. And, more than 900 sources are available on or before the date of publication. Subjects include International Business, Taxation, Finance, Company/Industry Research.
- New York Times (Current) – ELECTRONIC
via Proquest, full text of the New York Times from 1980 to present (no images). Full text of NYT Magazine and NYT Book Review from 1997 to present.
- New York Times (Historical) — ELECTRONIC
via Proquest, full text coverage of the New York Times from 1851 – 2003, including original images
- Variety.com – ELECTRONIC
Offers the full text of every current article in Daily Variety and Variety, as well as research tools like a searchable credits database, a global showbiz events calendar, interactive box office charts, classifieds, video clips, extended event photo coverage and more.
- Television and Cable Factbook – ELECTRONIC
- Global Entertainment and Media Outlook [excerpts]: 2005 – 2009 – PRINT
- Global Entertainment and Media Outlook: 2006 – 2010: Forecasts and Economic Analysis of 14 Industry Segments — PRINT
- IBISWorld – ELECTRONIC
Market Research Reports. IBISWorld offers industry reports covering over 700 US industries (at the 5-digit NAICS level) and provide key statistics, market characteristics, segmentation, industry conditions, and industry outlook. You can search by NAICS code or by keyword. It’s very easy to browse report titles as well.
- International Motion Picture Almanac – PRINT Published annually. Directories of companies, theatres, etc. Also includes statistics. Most recent year is in the REFERENCE collection on the first floor of Hagerty Library. Call Number: PN1993.3 .I55
- International Television and Video Almanac – PRINT Published annually. Most recent year is in the REFERENCE collection on the first floor of Hagerty Library. Call Number: PN1992.1 .I58 2006
- Mintel Reports – ELECTRONIC
Market Research Reports covering the US and Europe. You need to create an account (which is very easy to do) before accessing any of the reports.
- SNL Kagan – ELECTRONIC SNL Kagan integrates online research, data and projections in real time for the media and communications industry. Access detailed news, forecasts and financial data. SNL Kagan covers TV network data, movie industry data, and radio and internet media. ***While Drexel University Libraries provides a subscription to SNL Kagan, individual users still need to register for their own account. Simply create your own account in the gray box using your Drexel email address.***
- Tablebase – ELECTRONIC Statistical/tabular data on companies, industries, products, countries and markets. Good for finding numbers.
- Television and Cable Factbook – ELECTRONIC Includes industry data for cable systems, television stations, media ownership and media services.
- TV Dimensions – PRINT
Note the following journal and magazine titles related to Entertainment and Arts Management that Drexel University Libraries currently subscribes to:
- Billboard (latest 6 months in print only, electronically from 1988)
- Cardozo Arts and Entertainment Law Journal (electronically from 1982, via Hein Online in print from 2002)
- Computers in Entertainment (electronically from 2003 via ACM Digital Library)
- Entertainment and Sports Law Journal (electronically only from 1993, via LexisNexis Academic)
- Entertainment Law Journal (electronically from 1995, via LexisNexis Academic)
- Entertainment Weekly (electronically from 1998 via Proquest)
- Fordham Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law Journal (in print from 2002 and electronically from 1990 via Hein Online
- Hollywood Reporter (electronically from 2001 via Proquest, with 2 week delay)
- International Journal of Arts Management (in print from 2001 and electronically from 2002 via Proquest)
- International Journal on Media Management (electronically from 1999)
- Journal of Arts Management and Law (in print from 1983-1991 and electronically from 1990-1992)
- The Journal of Arts Management, Law and Society (in print 1992-current (some missing issues), and electronically via Proquest from 1992 via Ebscohost International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance)
- Journal of Cultural Economics (electronically only from 1996 via Proquest and SpringerLink)
- Journal of Media Economics (electronically only from 1988)
- Pollstar (in print, latest 3 months only)
- Rolling Stone (in print from 1975 – 1998 and the latest 3 months only. Electronically from 1992 via Proquest)
To find theses by Drexel graduates, search the catalog.
There is a link in each record for electronic access to the thesis/dissertation collection in our institutional depository, iDEA.
Click on the link, to be taken into iDEA, but then you still have to click AGAIN to get the PDF document. To find theses outside of Drexel, search the database Digital Dissertations from UMI. UMI publishes and archives dissertations and theses; sells copies on demand; and maintains the definitive bibliographic record for over 2 million doctoral dissertations and master’s theses. Digital Dissertations provides electronic access in PDF format for the first 24 pages of titles published since 1997, which is a great way to know if the title is really what you are looking for.
- Arts Administration Research Guide – WWW
- Film and Video Research Guide - WWW
- Music Industry Research Guide – WWW
- Television Management Research Guide – WWW
Content Editor: Tom Ipri
Last Updated: 10/31/2012