Strategic Plan: 2012 - 2017
Drexel graduates and faculty are world-class self-directed learners distinguished by experiential and theoretical knowledge of their profession's approach to creating solutions. Beyond mastery of their discipline's scholarship, they are global citizens with a common Drexel curiosity to uncover questions, create knowledge and continue to learn.
For current Drexel learners, some new to higher education and others seasoned scholars, the Libraries is responsible for:
- Provision of information access needed to create and contribute to scholarship in support of Drexel's teaching, learning and service to society.
- Expert guidance to develop self-directed learners' information literacy skills for life-long intellectual passion and civic engagement.
Four key directions guide the Drexel University Libraries' 2012 - 2017 Strategic Plan:
Ensure access to ideas and authoritative information sources, regardless of time or geography for Drexel's diverse community to learn, contribute to scholarship, and serve society.Click here to read about activities in the area of Access.
- Design and implement collection management strategies that reflect needs for published information in support of Drexel's teaching, learning, and research.
- Develop tools to simplify discovery of multiple collections across Drexel and beyond.
- Collaboratively build and service an infrastructure for the life cycle of information within Drexel's digital culture.
- Preserve and curate documentation and artifacts of Drexel's history and legacy, including unique archives, institutional records, and scholarship.
Deepen Drexel's connections with scholarship through expert guidance across knowledge communities, authoritative publications, and unique data sources. Click here to read about activities in the area of Connections.
- Introduce learners to information in scholarship that is unknown to them.
- Support teachers' efforts to equip students with information literacy skills to delve into the scholarship of their major.
- Enable researchers to efficiently manage their information sources and resource data.
- Save administrators' time to identify and locate information for decision-making through expert guidance, analytical tools and resources.
- Reaffirm Drexel's place within the scholarly world through recognition of campus intellectual and creative life.
Build learning environments in physical and cyber spaces. Click here to read about activities in the area of Environments
- Transform existing library spaces as campus environments for self-directed learning, both with and among intentional learners, and with expert guidance of librarians and other educators.
- Embed the Libraries' guidance to support independent learning and group study into campus physical and cyberspace learning environments.
- Establish a focal place to master and experience application of multiple literacies and information technologies, to discover Drexel's unique archives and data, and to create digital scholarship and expression.
Model a collaborative and entrepreneurial library organization that effectively leverages university and external resources to serve students, enhance teaching, and support researchers. Click here to read about progress in Organization.
- Develop a learning organization that builds managerial leadership and employee expertise.
- Utilize evidence of client expectations for excellence and other data to manage the Libraries.
- Engage in collaborative services with other academic supporters to transcend campus silos.
- Seek external support to facilitate this work.
Download the Drexel University Libraries' 2012 - 2017 Strategic Plan [PDF].