Going Paperless: An Overview
As the University has adopted document management systems and fully electronic business
processes, many departments are looking to transition to paperless recordkeeping in
order to improve efficiency and save space. Departments can pursue such a transition
with the approval of the Records Management Archivist. To get started, review the
Imaging Standards for University Records and contact the Records Management Archivist,
who will guide you through the following process:
- Contact the Records Management Archivist to get the process started: 215-895-6472 or
- Review the Guidelines for University Records in Electronic Format [PDF].
- The Records Management Archivist will schedule a meeting with relevant departmental
staff and a representative from the Corporate Compliance and Privacy Office.
- In collaboration with IRT or DUCOM IT, and the Corporate Compliance and Privacy
Office, departments will select a system that best meets their business needs along
with any privacy and security regulations.
- In cases where offices are handling especially sensitive data, such as that
involving patients or human subjects research, the Records Management Archivist will
consult with the Office of the General Counsel.
- Departments will work with the Records Management Archivist to develop metadata
standards and an imaging workflow that will allow for efficient retrieval for
business purposes and compliance with the University's Records Management
- Departments are strongly encouraged to follow the metadata and imaging guidelines
outlined in Guidelines for University Records in Electronic Format [PDF] to ensure
records can be discovered and accessed over the long term.