Thesis and Dissertation Submission
All Drexel University graduate theses and dissertations are submitted online via ProQuest’s ETD Administrator tool, for publication in ProQuest’s Dissertations & Theses database and in the Drexel Research Discovery portal, where they will be made freely accessible online.
The following instructions are for formal theses and dissertations only. Please select the Masters and Doctoral Project page for other graduate projects, such as Capstone projects and DNP Projects.
- Write and defend your thesis or dissertation according to the standards set forth in the Thesis Manual. Note: your advisor is responsible for your document’s adherence to formatting standards.
- Complete the “Thesis/Dissertation Approval Form and Signature Page” (available from the Graduate College forms page) and scan the signed copy.
- Format your thesis/dissertation as a PDF, consistent with ProQuest’s formatting guidelines.
- Add the completed Thesis/Dissertation Approval Form as the first page of your thesis/dissertation PDF. Please note, the Thesis/Dissertation Approval Form is different from the Graduate College Completion Form, which should NOT be submitted to ProQuest.
- Go to http://www.etdadmin.com/drexel and click 'submit' to create an account. Follow the steps to upload your document. This will take approximately 20–30 minutes.
OPTION: DELAY PUBLICATION (EMBARGO)
If you plan to patent, publish or go into business with your research, you have the option to delay the public release of your dissertation or thesis by placing a temporary embargo on it. At the end of the embargo period, your dissertation or thesis will become publicly accessible unless you request an extension.
Embargoes must be requested separately for the ProQuest database and Drexel’s Research Discovery portal:
- An embargo in the Drexel Research Discovery portal must be requested by your advisor by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The length of the embargo (6 months, 1 year or 2 years) must be specified. This request should be made BEFORE you submit your thesis/dissertation. You may request an extension on an embargo by emailing email@example.com.
- An embargo in the ProQuest database must be requested as part of the online submission process. Please specify the length of the embargo (6 months, 1 year or 2 years). To extend an embargo on the ProQuest database, contact ProQuest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OPTION: REGISTER COPYRIGHT
In most cases, your thesis/dissertation is automatically protected under federal copyright law. However, you may wish to register it with the U.S. Copyright Office. During the submission process, you have the option to pay ProQuest to register your copyright for you. Alternately, you may file for copyright registration directly with the Copyright Office yourself. For more information, please see ProQuest's guide to “Copyright and Your Dissertation or Thesis.”
OPTION: PURCHASE BOUND COPIES
You have the option to purchase bound hard copies of your thesis/dissertation, either from ProQuest as part of the submission process, or from a third party binding service as listed in the FAQ section of the Theses, Dissertation and Projects page. The Libraries does not provide printing or binding services.
CONTACTS FOR THESIS AND DISSERTATION SUBMISSION
Phone: 215.895.6845 or 215.895.2766
See the Libraries’ Theses, Dissertations and Projects web page.
If you have questions about the content or formatting of your thesis/dissertation, please contact the Graduate College at email@example.com or 215.895.0366, or (if you are in the College of Medicine) the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies at CoM_GraduateSchool@drexel.edu or 215.762.4546.
Each program may have additional requirements or preferences. For more information, please contact your advisor or department staff.