The Libraries has a variety of equipment and print and audiovisual materials available to borrow. On-campus users may borrow by visiting by the service desk at any location. Distance Learners may also request that material be mailed to their home address.
See below for more information about borrowing by type of material, renewing, fines and replacements, recalls, requesting, returning, suspension of privileges, and borrowing from other libraries.
- Loan Period: 28 days, 6 months for faculty if located within W. W. Hagerty Library or off-site storage
- Renewals: twice online, once for 6 month loan for faculty
- Limit: 20 items
- Late Fines: $.25/day or $1.00/day if recalled
- Subject to recall by another user after 28 days or 1 week if recalled for Course Reserves
DVDs & VHS
- Loan Period: 14 days
- Renewals: none
- Limit: 3 items
- Late Fine: $1.00 day
- Loan Period: 3 hours, 5 hours for 24x7 Access laptops
- Renewals: renew in person at service desk, no renewals for 24x7 Access laptops
- Limit: 1
- Late Fine: $5.00 hour
- More information about borrowing a laptop
- Loan Period: varies (3 hours is standard with some overnight)
- Renewals: renew in person at service desk as long as item is not on the waiting list
- Limit: 3
- Late Fine: $2.00 for first hour, $1.00 for each additional
- More information about borrowing course reserves
Some items have shorter loan periods for all users- e.g., career services materials.
Furthermore, loan periods may be adjusted for special reasons- e.g., faculty requests for reserve, special programs, graduating seniors.
Books from the regular collection may be returned at any of the Drexel Libraries location. Patrons are welcome to hand books directly to Circulation Desk staff members or to leave books in the provided Book Drops.
Books from the Reserves collection must be returned directly to Circulation Desk staff members to avoid accruals of fines. Overnight reserves books may be returned to a Book Drop if the Library is closed.
If you are notified that an item is overdue or subject to billing, but you believe you have returned it, contact Circulation Desk staff immediately. Staff will search for this item. If the item is not found on the shelf, you will be responsible for replacing the item.
Any of the following can result in temporary suspension of borrowing privileges:
- A recalled item that was not returned prior to the due date
- More than $10.00 in fines and replacement fees
- One or more lost items
To establish in-person borrowing privileges at either University of Pennsylvania Libraries or any participating PALCI On-Site Borrowing Libraries, you must first obtain a Reciprocal Borrowing Letter from the circulation desk at any Drexel University Libraries location. This letter should be presented, along with your current university ID card, to circulation desk staff at the library from which you would like to borrow materials.
For more information about how to place requests for materials from other, non-reciprocal libraries, please see 'Borrow from other Libraries'.