Drexel University Libraries' Refreshed Strategic Plan
A Continuing Commitment to Transformation
How we access information and how we make sense of the world each revolve around transformative ways that information is exchanged. In the midst of this, academic libraries are challenged to increase the value of higher education in preparing students for professional and civic lives and in promoting research to advance knowledge and society.
Drexel University Libraries embraces such challenges by transforming self-directed active learning and discovery of information. We are an innovative, model library that inspires its community to be life-long learners through evolving an environment for discovery, exploration, creation, and dissemination of knowledge.
Four core obligations continue to guide the Libraries’ transformation into a destination for becoming and being a life-long learner:
- Access: Ensure access to ideas and authoritative information sources
- Environments: Build learning environments in physical and cyber spaces.
- Connections: Deepen Drexel’s connections with scholarship.
- Organization: Model a collaborative, client-focused, data-driven and entrepreneurial library that effectively leverages all resources.
The Libraries’ strategic directions reinforce Drexel University’s mission and ambitions to contain the affordability of higher education, shape future scholarship and inspire a life-long quest for learning.
Through our transformation, we will engage students, faculty and staff to become well-prepared to make life-long contributions to a global, knowledge-dependent society.
REINFORCING DREXEL UNIVERSITY’S MISSION & AMBITIONS: 2017 - 2022
The Libraries’ refreshed strategic directions from 2017 - 2022 reinforce the University’s mission and several key ambitions:
CONTAIN THE AFFORDABILITY OF HIGHER EDUCATION
The Libraries’ decisions about how to facilitate access to information are driven by costs, usage, and alignment with the University’s educational and research priorities.
- Transform the Libraries to move from “building collections” to managing cost-effective access to resources through a combination of licensing, prudent purchasing, and resource sharing.
- Facilitate the collaborative introduction of Open Access resources in the curriculum to lower both textbook expenditures for students and the retrieval and dissemination of publications expenditures for researchers.
- Educate the campus community in the economics of the availability of information.
SHAPE FUTURE SCHOLARSHIP
The Libraries applies its knowledge and expertise to strengthen the University’s contributions to scholarship by enabling access to and exposure of Drexel-generated research outputs to global researchers.
- Transform the Libraries’ systems to expand discovery, improve interoperability and enhance the exchange of information resources and data sets for researchers.
- Create support programs that enhance faculty and student awareness and the appropriate use of information and data sources.
- Evolve the Libraries’ online presence through responsive design and development strategies.
INSPIRE A QUEST FOR LIFE-LONG LEARNING
The Libraries guides the Drexel community to utilize any information responsibly and builds learning environments that promote self-directed learning.
- Transform the Libraries into a Learning Exploratorium that inspires and enables active learning.
- Guide students to discover, explore, and question ideas with support of scholarly evidence.
- Stimulate and engage diverse knowledge communities to foster peer-to-peer education and social learning.