When did the blue and gold dinks first officially make their appearance at Drexel? An 1938 article from The Triangle, pictured below, announces the Inter-fraternity Council's plan to require all fraternity freshmen "wear dinks of the same make, color and design."
Recently the Archives received a donation from alumnus Richard W. Young ('54): two framed pages from the January 2, 1892 issue of Harper's Weekly. The pages hung for forty years in the office that Mr. Young shared with his late wife Elizabeth Hansen Young ('52).
The Drexel Institute was dedicated on December 17, 1891, just two weeks before this issue of Harper's appeared. The magazine demonstrates how the opening of Mr. Drexel's bold new school captured national attention. An interior page of the magazine features illustrations of the Great Court in the Main Building. Here's the two items hanging in the University Archives in Hagerty Library.
Normally, archival preservation requires that works on paper be stored in a drawer or box, away from damaging light. However, Mr. Young urged us to display the pieces where they can be seen and enjoyed by the Drexel community. For that reason, we've hung them in the Archives reading room, where they can be seen but have limited exposure to light. So please stop by the Archives and take a look at these pieces of history.
Recently, the Archives was alerted to the discovery of a time capsule placed underneath Disque Hall at its dedication 47 years ago. Unfortunately, the capsule was discovered inadvertently during the construction of the new Perelman Plaza and was crushed. Water soaked the contents of the capsule, which included copies of the Triangle, the Bulletin (course catalog) and the Drexel Technical Journal, pictured below. Fortunately, copies of these items were already preserved in the University Archives. In fact, you can read the June 2, 1967 issue of the Triangle that was in the time capsule in the Libraries' digitized Triangle collection.
The capsule also contained President Hagerty's remarks at the dedication ceremony on May 26, 1967 – a copy of which also exists in the Archives. See the two versions side by side below -- the copy on the left was stored in the time capsule, while the copy on the right has been kept in secure, climate-controlled storage. The lesson is that depositing your important documents, photographs and objects in the University Archives is a much safer way to preserve them than burying them in a metal box in the ground.
Recently, the Archives received donations of material from alums Priscilla Nannos Muir ('75) and Charlie Ruhl ('65).