Starting your research for design projects
October 9, 2014
Step 1: Starting with your particular topic, for example: Polymer Composite Fibers
Using Google Search and searching for You may find web resources such as : Fibers in Polymer Composites
- The site provides mechanical properties of some common fibers used in polymer composites
Use Advanced search in Google for Polymer Composite Fibers to refine your search using various options.
- Limit by latest web resources using 'Last Update' field
- Limit by PDF in 'File Type' field
- Limit by .Gov domain (or. edu, or .org domains) to obtain quality web resources
You will find web resources like
- Browse through various resources that you think are useful for your project.
Step 2: Start using various electronic book collections and databases highlighted in Fundamentals of Engineering Library Guide:
- See Books 24x7 and Safari Tech Books for books on arduino robotics, computer science, software, database management, and operating systems, etc
Finding scholarly journal articles
Step 3. Patent Searching
- Fresh Patents Provides access to the latest published US patent applications each week BEFORE the USPTO decision to grant/deny.
- The Google Patent Search covers the entire collection of patents made available by the USPTO--from patents issued in the 1790s to present.
Step 4: Statistical Resources
- Science.gov Science.gov searches over 40 databases and over 2000 selected websites, offering 200 million pages of authoritative U.S. government science information, including research and development results.
Step 5: Catalogs and Components
Step 6: Citation Guidelines: